Worth it to pick up a Sigma 70-200?

I hate buying used, and I am only 16. So the extra 600-800 is something I cannot afford as I have no job right now. Especially after just dropping 5k of my own money on a custom rig. :p

I can't wait for it to get here and play with it. Might pick up a polarizer if I deem it needed. :p

a custom rig?

I just received the lens. One question, how do I get the HSM motor to work? There is no switch on the nikon mount. Do I just turn on my in camera AF, isn't the HSM motor faster?

Er...mine's always just been - on. I didn't realise it could be off, If I'm honest.

I assume just have it all flicked to AF and away you go.

oh - definitely pick up a polariser - or some kind of filter. Anything protective. I've seen a lens gets smashed and having a filter on saved it so that an extra $70 on a hoya filter never seems like a waste.

I suffer from the Sigma stigma... I just don't trust them, which might be an outdated perspective because they have gotten better over the years, but It's something I just can't get over... It seems that front and back focussing issues are more prevalent than ever these days, particularily with 3rd party lenses, and I just don't have time to gamble on "getting a good copy" of a lens... the industry just can't work that way.

My vote would go for the Nikon VR1, especially if you plan on sticking with a crop sensor for a while. Whichever way you choose, the best lenses are the ones you actually use, so the reality is that if it works for you, go for it and have fun...

Cheers,

Paul

Of course I just saw your previous thread response...

Hey, Congrats on the new lens!...

Paul

I have been testing it out and I asked about that problem, the manager at Allens Camera said he has sold over one thousand of these lenses and never had one returned due to a front focus / back focus problem. Mine seems to be just fine. Anything I can do to make sure? :p

Well, pixel peeping will start to drive you crazy... It's very easy to magnify something many times on a monitor and question the sharpness or focus accuracy... the reality is that if it works, then,well, it works. Focus tests, in general terms and for non critical photography, don't make a lot of sense... if it looks good when it's printed, you're golden...

I don't pixel peep, mainly because it is not what the client would see I don't care. If it works and it looks good I am in shape. :)

Thanks to everyone here for the input on the 3rd party lenses v. Nikon lenses. I was going to post a question about this topic, more general than the specific lense, but you all have taken care of that for me.

The OP said they were interested in getting the HSM II version of the 70-200 Sigma, and the review is of the first version. In my opinion, I tried both the I and II Sigma, and the II is much sharper at 2.8 and has faster AF.

I went over to my high school today to shoot a baseball game. Just to start to learn the new lens, and style of shooting. I have never shot sports before, so this was very new to me. I am not asking for CC as I know what is wrong in the pictures, feet cut off, I need to get better at focusing with the lens, etc.

I did learn something though, if you are walking around acting like you are supposed to be there with a 1 foot lens no one ever asks any questions, all access pass. :p

I also wanted to see how sharp of a copy I got. What do you guys think? Most of these were shot at f2.8. Not sure which ones though and don't really want to look now, maybe later. :greenpbl:

Q9Q5r.jpg

LxdPh.jpg

OVhdw.jpg

ZjQYM.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back