Would 6 mp be enough

slimpickins70

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm sure for me it would. but let's say i took pictures of people surfing from the beach and they wanted to buy prints, 8x11 or even 11x17. is the resolution good enough. the reason i ask is i was set to buy a canon XT but then i held a nikon D50. I like it and then i might have some mony left over for goodies.

thanks

p.s i currently own a rebel G w/35-80 canon kit lens and a 70-300mm sigma (a cheap one) that the AF no longer works on. so i could probably use most of my lens and filters on the XT.

My D70s is 6.1MP and i've made great 20x30 prints off of it. I really doubt that you'd notice a difference between 6 and 8 MP in a print regardless of its dimentions.

agree, unless you are doing out-door ads, the larger the resolutions, the bulkier the files would be, and they aren't useful for ordinary people.

My D70s is 6.1MP and i've made great 20x30 prints off of it. I really doubt that you'd notice a difference between 6 and 8 MP in a print regardless of its dimentions.

I see a difference between my friend's Nikon (6.1 MP) and my Canon (8.1 MP) in 8x10s, however you could also argue that the difference is between the image processing on each camera and the way it handles conversion to JPEG (which we both used in this case). So, I think it's hard to say without snapping some at your desired resolution and blowing the sucker up and deciding if it looks OK or not.

6mp is plenty big enogh, barring the photo is sharp and well exposed from the get go. An 11x17 will only enlarge and amplify any problems with sharpness, or exposure.

I print a lot of 16*20s from my D70s, and they look great, in my opinion there is little difference between a 6MP and 8MP camera, what makes the difference is the quality of the lenses that you use. get the 6MP, and use the rest of your money for some good glass.

thanks for the replys. i'll probably get the kit lens 18-55. What would you recomend for the zoom? also is the D50 comparable in size and weight to the canon 10D? i know the 30D felt good but its way out of the price range.

When you say zoom, I assume you mean a telephoto lens; a longer lens with a narrower field of view, usually used for focusing on objects further away? I only ask because the 18-55mm is a zoom. A zoom lens is simply one on which the focal length is variable, unlike a prime lens with a fixed focal length (for example 18mm, or 55mm, as opposed to 18-55mm).

Having said that, for a cheaper telephoto zoom you could consider a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 (or something similar from Tamron, Tokina or Sigma) but avoid using it at 300mm. My experience has been that lenses that cover a smaller range like 70-200mm, particularly those with a constant aperture, produce a nicer image than say 50-200 or 70-300... but of course they usually cost quite a bit more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back