Would Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF for indoor & Outdoor shots be right choice ?

karthikk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,

Im new this forum & also to Entry level DSLR. Im not sure if this is the place to post my question. Im planning to purchase Nikon D5200, im confused in selecting a lens that would suit my criteria. After researching for quite some time, i think Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Telephoto Zoom Nikor Lens would be my Suitable lens. My quick question, Im planning to use the Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF for indoor & Outdoor shots. Indoor shots like family and group portrait pics and Outdoor shots like wildlife photo graphy, sports. Im very much interested in WildLife PhotoGraphy.

Can anyone suggest me if that would suit my needs. Please provide me you valuable suggestion / Ideas.

Thanks,
Karthik

Yes. That lens is well suited for the outdoor interests you mention. It can be used for close-up images as well as distant landscapes. For example, stand about 5 feet from a flower and zoom in.

Indoors creates certain challenges to be aware of and that is getting enough light for the correct exposure. The lens will open to f/4, but if it could open more (expensive lenses) it would shoot at a faster speed, too. Read about the effects of higher ISO numbers. But, you can adjust indoor lighting to have your lens work well indoors.

Look up an e-book on Amazon that might be interesting for you: Creative Photography Techniques by Dan Bailey

NB. Chapter 11 Use Long Lenses for Landscapes!!

I use that lens often on my Nikon D7000.

Last edited:
I would have the opinion that the 70-300 is much too long of a lens for indoor group shots. You would have to have a very large indoor space for that, say, a gymnasium. The kit 18-55mm lens would be a much better option for this...that's just my opinion. Or, for only $200 you could buy the 35mm or 50mm, both having a very fast f/1.8. This would be much more user friendly in low light and in tight spaces, and that's not going to break the bank.

Or: you could spend $300 more than that 70-300 and get a 24-70 2.8, if you don't mind 3rd party manufacturers. This is avery good range for portraits...again, my opinion.
24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I would have the opinion that the 70-300 is much too long of a lens for indoor group shots. You would have to have a very large indoor space for that, say, a gymnasium. The kit 18-55mm lens would be a much better option for this...that's just my opinion. Or, for only $200 you could buy the 35mm or 50mm, both having a very fast f/1.8. This would be much more user friendly in low light and in tight spaces, and that's not going to break the bank.

Or: you could spend $300 more than that 70-300 and get a 24-70 2.8, if you don't mind 3rd party manufacturers. This is avery good range for portraits...again, my opinion.
24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF
This! ^^ The 70-300 is definitely NOT an indoor lens.

I agree 100% that lens definitely would not be suitable for indoor family photos plus imho the non-vr version isn't a good lens, may I recommend the 35mm f/1.8 I think this would be a great lens for your purposes, it's wider, sharper, faster !!

For your outdoor needs I would suggest the 70-300mm VR version !!

These 2 lenses will be a great addition to your D5200. I'm not aware of your budget restraints but if you tell us we could give you a better suggestion - buy what you could afford plus a little more :)

Thanks for all you valuable response. If Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Telephoto Zoom Nikor Lens would not be a suitable lens for both Indoor & Outdoor shots. Would Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Autofocus Zoom Lens be right choice for both Indoor & Outdoor shots..Also my budget for lens is 200$. Im planning to get the Grey Market Item from Adorama (that comes with 1 year Adorama Warranty), since that would be a cheaper value than the USA Warranty Item. Any suggestions / Ideas would be great..

F4 isn't really wide enough for indoors without either raising the iso or using flash. 55mm can be an OK focal length to use indoors but not for group shots. There is no one lens that does it all. Get the 50mm 1.8 for about $100. It will be your bff. You will still want a tele-zoom but the nifty fifty is awesome.

Thanks for all you valuable response. If Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Telephoto Zoom Nikor Lens would not be a suitable lens for both Indoor & Outdoor shots. Would Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Autofocus Zoom Lens be right choice for both Indoor & Outdoor shots..Also my budget for lens is 200$. Im planning to get the Grey Market Item from Adorama (that comes with 1 year Adorama Warranty), since that would be a cheaper value than the USA Warranty Item. Any suggestions / Ideas would be great..

Adorama is a very reputable place. I would also check out keh.com.

Also why not rent before you buy? 55-200 is a good starter but I wouldn't pay new or even refurbished price for it.

Or why not just save until you can afford 85 1.8g a great lens for the price.

Most reactions

Back