would someone take a minute to help me out?

O.k. so now for more harshness. What job exactly are you applying for with vacation snapshots of marginal quality. If someone is looking to hire a person to take their vacation snapshots with a point and shoot camera SIGN ME UP!! I would love that job. I mean if this is this is the kind of image they want I wouldnt even have to worry about exposure composition or proper lighting. O.k. I'm sorry that was mean but I can't see any potential employer being any nicer and I guess it's better to hear it here than being dumped on by a potential employer and sent home without a job. Oh and by the way you say "im not expecting anyone to think that these are spectacular because im not a pro" if thats the case why are you applying for a job that requires you to present a portfolio??.

Did you get only 3 hours of sleep in the last 5 days?

Crosby

Did you get only 3 hours of sleep in the last 5 days?

I deserved that shot.. ROFL!

Speaking as someone that had a great night's rest (finally!! :D )

Sincerely, there is one small aspect that is important to consider. If there is someone that wants to become a professional in ANYTHING, it takes quite a lot more than a strong desire.

That desire WILL get you far, but you cannot enter the Boston Marathon before you learn to train hard, and you cannot learn to train hard before you learn to run... and you cannot learn to run until you learn to walk. Finally, you cannot learn to walk until you have learned to crawl.

We have many GOOD people around that have an incredible desire to do something with their cameras, and I for one was previously often not very respectful of that desire, but blurted out the harsh realities which I basically stated in the paragraph above this one.

Maybe there is a way to state what is obvious to us, without destroying the desire in the one doing the asking?

With that intent, I will say that it takes a LOT more than what some think it takes to become seriously proficient in photography. Proficient will still not put bread on your table, though. You need to do more than that... a LOT more.

The facts of life as it pertains to a professional photographer:

1 - You need to become not just good, but damn good with a camera.

2 - You need to become not just good, but damn good with people.

3 - You need to become not just good, but damn good in business.

It's truly to their credit that they have this desire to become professionals, but they need to learn to walk before they run. Some have not even taken the time to finish to learn to crawl... but the desire is strong and they come here to ask for help on *not* just how they can enter the Boston Marathon, but win in the same process.

Here is my advice... take it or leave it.

Pertaining to my point #1 above, being a good photographer is more than being able to take good pictures, it takes knowledge, practice, devotion and consistant action on a long term basis to continually improve.

I shall be a little blunt here, please do not take offence. If you do not know what shutter speed, ISO, aperture are AND do not know how they interact with each other in relation to your camera, you've not learned to crawl yet. Once you have... you are ready to enter the walking stage.

That should give you an idea of how much effort, time and devotion are needed to get you through this. A professional is someone that has come a long way, shot tens of thousands of photos, spent TONS of time practicing and perfecting their craft BEFORE they became what they are today.

Pertaining to my point #2 above, some people are introverts, some are extroverts. In this field, the extroverts have a huge advantage. You often need to be able to control the emotions of the people in front of you, and if you are even the LEAST BIT shy or uncertain, you will not "get the shot". You must reassure the bride that today she is the MOST beautiful woman in the world, her husband has to be made to feel that he makes Arnold look like a whimp. You need to be able to take difficult situations and turn them into advantages, bring out the BEST in people, no matter how bad or ugly they may be feeling at that moment. If you experience difficulty walking up to a stranger on the street and striking up a conversation... you have not even yet learned to crawl.

Pertaining to my point #3 above, you can be the BEST photographer in the world, but you will NEVER make a penny with it, if you are not business-savvy. Some of the most successful photographers, you may be surprised to know, have degrees in business. The ones that don't, and are successful as well, I can guarantee you that they are VERY business savvy by other means (mostly by that I mean, that they likely banged their heads into nice hard brick wall UNTIL they learned the ropes). Knowing how to run a business in all manners from the accounting and numbers crunching to a full business design and layout to knowing how to set your numbers, forcasting and dealing with difficult and demanding clients on a near daily basis, knowing the legalities of creating a contract that protects both YOU and YOUR CLIENT... yes, I will say it a third time... if you have not done the above, you have not yet learned to crawl.

My point is NOT to discourage you, indeed, if your desire is strong, you are likely laughing at what you have read so far, but the point is... this is a tough field with a lot of competition and its a field that is NOT EASY to succeed in. There is somoene JUST like you, with all your desire, all your drive, right behind you. If you are not ready to take on all challenges, the fact is, that person thats behind you? They are.

Learn the ropes, be the best you can and do something that sets you apart from the competition.

Have fun. ;)

"You need to eliminate either the images that were taken with the "crappy camera" or eliminate the disclaimer"
Already did.

"What job exactly are you applying for with vacation snapshots of marginal quality. If someone is looking to hire a person to take their vacation snapshots with a point and shoot camera SIGN ME UP!!"
Not sure exactly. I haven't emailed or went anywhere to apply yet. Like i said, this is something im thinking about doing in the future...not tomorrow.

"Oh and by the way you say "im not expecting anyone to think that these are spectacular because im not a pro" if thats the case why are you applying for a job that requires you to present a portfolio??."
Same question kind of :p But again, i'm not sure. I was browsing craigslist for photography postings and even if it said "no experience required (training will be provided)", it usually had "but if you do have some experience, please have a portfolio together". So i tried that.

March 30th, I plan on being out all day and taking some shots around st louis with a friend. I'll post the results of that day in another thread.

Thanks for the tips and criticism. keep it comin :p

Most reactions

Back