Miaow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
s7.invisionfree.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

Was chatting to my boyfriend today on whether it would be a good idea to do a few enlargements of a few of my pics (the better ones lol) and try and sell them at a local market. I know a mate of his really wants a couple of the pics from one series though not sure if he'd pay for them lol

I was sorta trying to cost it out and its looking at about $6aus a pic just for the printing for a 20x25cm pic (printing it at a kmart store) then of cause there would be some sorta frame (cheap of course to keep costs down) probably maybe say $3 each (havent really priced this out as yet) - So basically per pic I'd be having to sell one for over say $15-20 a pic to make some sorta of reasonable profit (ie as in to keep the idea going etc).

So what do people think of this sort of idea - Would it work (taking of course other people like the pics)? Would you just print of one set of each series and then take orders? I'd rather not pay to print a few copies etc and then find no one buys them lol

Also would 800x533 pics blow up ok to an A4 size so I don't have to redo originals etc (i usually do 800x reductions to save space)

I would skip the frames altogether. Those are something that people tend to be fairly selective about, and a cheap frame will detract from the overall image. My suggestion would be to mount the finished prints to 11x14 white card stock with a single strip of light-tac two-way tape, which will allow the customer to remove it from the white if he/she choses, or drop it in a frame of their choice as-is.

As far as pricing goes, yours sound reasonable, but have a look at some of the local markets and see what others are charging - if similar work is going for $10-15 a print in your region, $15-20 isn't going to sell. I would also have several choices of size, ideally 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10s of each, priced accordingly. Yes, it's a bit of a capitol investment, but a lot of times people will like a picture, but want it in a certain size; if you don't have that size, no sale.
As far as your size question? I'd suggest reading this excellent article on digital printing: http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

Just my $00.02 worth - your opinion may vary.

I would skip the frames altogether. Those are something that people tend to be fairly selective about, and a cheap frame will detract from the overall image. My suggestion would be to mount the finished prints to 11x14 white card stock with a single strip of light-tac two-way tape, which will allow the customer to remove it from the white if he/she choses, or drop it in a frame of their choice as-is.

As far as pricing goes, yours sound reasonable, but have a look at some of the local markets and see what others are charging - if similar work is going for $10-15 a print in your region, $15-20 isn't going to sell. I would also have several choices of size, ideally 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10s of each, priced accordingly. Yes, it's a bit of a capitol investment, but a lot of times people will like a picture, but want it in a certain size; if you don't have that size, no sale.
As far as your size question? I'd suggest reading this excellent article on digital printing: http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

Just my $00.02 worth - your opinion may vary.

Thanks for the info on the DPI - its interesting as I actually have been overriding my Resize DPI (that the program sets) to a higher figure.

I can see what you mean on the frames though - hmm wonder if you can get black card? I think these would maybe go better on it....

Yeah the capital outlay is what I'm trying to minimize a bit - but i can see why it would be good to have the different sizes available - the smaller i notice the cheaper it is to print at kmart - I have a printer that will do photos but i think ink costs sorta outweigh doing it at home than a place like kmart.

Miaow...
Big W:
6x4 = 19cents
7x5 = 49cents
10x8 = $3.84

I recently did a "favour" for a bunch of families in the local community who host 'foreign-exchange' students for 6months. They decided to hold a Deb (novelty for the girls). Photographer they had "booked" let them down and a mate and I agreed to do the shoot - debs and partners and also family portraits afterwards. We had wireless strobes etc set up at the back of the hall etc etc
Cos it was 'charity' we offered them (all) special package deals:
PARTNER PACK
2 @ 10x8, 4 @ 7x5 and 6 @ 6x4
Big W print price +$10.80.
Sell Price $15 - "profit" $4.20 per pack
FAMILY PACK
3 @ 10x8, 4 @ 7x5 and 6 @ 6x4
Big W print price +$14.65
Sell Price $20 - "profit" $5.35 per pack
SUPER FAMILY PACK
4 @ 10x8, 4 @ 7x5 and 6 @ 6x4
Big W print price +$18.50
Sell Price $25 - "profit" $6.50 per pack
Here's the "profit" though:
We sold 28 Partner Packs = $115.60
and 31 Family Packs = $166.25
and 40 Super Family Packs = $260
Total = $541.85:meh:
Might as well of done it for free with all the PP and running around - but hey, it was charity, right?
I think you would easily be able to sell a 10x8 and chuck in some 6x4 / 7x5 "freebies" for the price as well.
Say 1 @ 10x8 ($3.84) + 2 @ 7x5 ($0.98) + 4 @ 6x4 ($0.76) all up price of $15.60 gives you a round $10 "profit"
I find that "packs" with "freebies" are very attractive to people cos they get 7 pics for the price of 1...
Just set up a display pack with the actual photos so they know what they're getting and display the 10x8 images and take orders...
Better still - offer to take THEIR photo/portrait - and charge $20

To all those negative types who will reply to this post with comments of undercutting and charging cheap prices - let me say that if we hadn't done this shoot, then NO-ONE would have... so we did a service for over 300 members of the community, 30 or more Families and 8 georgeous girls from all corners of the world and their lucky partners...
Girls, Partners, Girl's Families, Host Families, GrandMa's and GranPa's here and all over the world have photographic memories to cherish...
Jedo

To all those negative types who will reply to this post with comments of undercutting and charging cheap prices

IMO, those people have some real problems; after all by complaining for free, they are taking bread from the babies of professional complainers. For that matter, by posting on the internet for free, they're taking money from the authors whose books we'd be reading if we didn't have their posts to read instead.

It's your time, your camera, and your investment. If someone goes hungry because they can't provide a service that people will pay for, they're doing it to themselves. Next they'll be complaining that the barbecue place handing out all the free fresh-baked rolls you can eat with a meal is killing Mrs. Baird's business.

IMO, those people have some real problems; after all by complaining for free, they are taking bread from the babies of professional complainers. For that matter, by posting on the internet for free, they're taking money from the authors whose books we'd be reading if we didn't have their posts to read instead.

It's your time, your camera, and your investment. If someone goes hungry because they can't provide a service that people will pay for, they're doing it to themselves. Next they'll be complaining that the barbecue place handing out all the free fresh-baked rolls you can eat with a meal is killing Mrs. Baird's business.

I totally agree with the sub-neo-branch of applied philosophy you are asserting here... I believe it was derived from ancient Confuscian logic - "He who has nothing, and knows not that he has nothing, doesn't need it anyways..."
We don't have Mrs Baird's in Aussie -is that the same as Brumbies???
Jedo

Jedo, One problem with the Big W idea is the closest one is about a 50min drive away - so maybe in a way kmart's still the better option with the current state of fuel costs around here as Kmart's about a 5-10min drive (if only printing a few pics)

Not sure on offering packs if I do do it though - but maybe a choice of different sizes would be maybe a good idea.

In regards to taking pics of people, so far I've only done one portrait pic for someone and I don't think it was much good, so don't know if I offer to take peoples pics LOL

Hi Miaow,

I think it totally depends on marketing, target volume, and etc. all interrelated and stuff. I mean if you would have asked me 60 years ago if I thought the idea of cell phones was good or would work I would have said no way, you're crazy. When they did take off if you were to ask me if I thought people would buy "ring-tones" I just would have laughed but it's a HUGE market now.

Images can be marketed in an endless assortment of methods. Printed images whether you get a fast color printer and do 8x10's for $0.50 ea. (which I would recommend) or go through K-Mart at $5.00 ea., has less vertical and lateral market potential but still nearly endless - especially if you're creative.

With the right marketing strategy I think one can manufacture and sell just about anything and make it a profitable venture. So IMHO, go for it! If it doesn't seem to be working add another strategy and keep going.

Also would 800x533 pics blow up ok to an A4 size so I don't have to redo originals etc (i usually do 800x reductions to save space)

Sure you can... although most people will tell you that you can't and that 800x533 is way to small for an 8x10. You can do it beautifully with tools like Genuine Fractals 5 or Alien Skin BlowUp or several others. I've used those two so I know their names and that they don't completely suck. ;) Sophisticated upsampling is slightly different (meaning it produces a very slightly different look) than using the proper resolution in the first place though. Not better or worse, just different.

Jedo, One problem with the Big W idea is the closest one is about a 50min drive away - so maybe in a way kmart's still the better option with the current state of fuel costs around here as Kmart's about a 5-10min drive (if only printing a few pics)

Not sure on offering packs if I do do it though - but maybe a choice of different sizes would be maybe a good idea.

In regards to taking pics of people, so far I've only done one portrait pic for someone and I don't think it was much good, so don't know if I offer to take peoples pics LOL

Miaow - true, true... everyone doesn't have a Big W in walking distance (We're spoiled up here in the Hill...) So go with K-Mart...
Worth considering the packs though - from a marketing point of view, most people are attracted by freebies (depends what your outlays are) but at the Big W prices - say 1 @ 10x8 ($3.84) + 2 @ 7x5 ($0.98) + 4 @ 6x4 ($0.76) all up price of $15.60 giving you a round $10 "profit" the buyer is getting 7 pics for the price of 1 - and it's only costing you $1.74 to provide that... and you're increasing your "profit"...
If you were a 'Pro' - you'd be charging minimum $100 - $150 for that...
Unless you are doing it for "charity" - you need to be realistic...
Jedo

Another angle on the freebie idea would be to allow the customer their choice of selected 4x6s with the purchase of an 8x10; that way, not only are they getting something free, they to choose.

Another angle on the freebie idea would be to allow the customer their choice of selected 4x6s with the purchase of an 8x10; that way, not only are they getting something free, they to choose.

Yeah that might be an ok idea - I really think if someone bought a landscape pic they might not want a set of the same pic in different sizes (this might be good for portraits but not so much landscape etc i think) , but that idea of a different smaller one could be ok :)

Bifurcator, thanks for that post - I have to say I've never been that great at marketing :)

Sorry - I didn't elaborate, but the buyer got/gets the chioce of pics within each pack: eg the super family pack (14 pics) the buyer can choose 14 different pics as part of the 4 of 10x8 + 4 of 7x5 + 6 of 6x4 and same for the other packs
Jedo

As mentioned above, you can print a 8x10 if you use software like genuine fractal, but if you have the original full sized image you are always better off using it. At your current size you only have 80 ppi, which is just fine for display on the monitor. But even with good resizing software the image wont be as sharp as if you used the original.

I believe if you are selling these to people you should go for the best quality you can. If a program like genuine fractal could produce results just as good as a proper sized image, there would be no need for things like medium format digital cameras. But many photographers for magazines/ad agency's/etc use medium format cameras, and theres a reason for this.

I find enlargement software is more useful for taking the original image, 3888x2592 in my case which would print at 13x8.5@300ppi, and stretching it so you can print a 20x30 or anything larger than what the native resolution gives you.

I read this somewhere, but why not take photos of people in a day. I can remember events I went to and photographed over 100 people. supply them with a business card, send them to your site, and sell them the digital copy. I have spoken to a very successful businessman. He was saying why bother with supplying the person with a printed copy, its time and effort, and would they buy more than one print anyway. And by reading the posts here, I can see people aren't making lots of money anyway.

By keeping it simple you supply a digital print, its quick and easy, one cost and then they do what they want with it. This way you could maximize profits, and sell the photo for more than you would by printing it.

Most reactions

Back