Would This Work

Dominik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had an idea of getting a flash unit that is a master flash and just buy a yongnuo flash trigger, which I will connect to the master unit and my camera. Then using the master unit I will command say two other flashes so I don't buy flash triggers for them. Is that a possible at all?

It will work, IF: The slave flashes have an optical trigger capability, but it will not work with the e-TTL/i-TTL functions of Canon, Nikon, etc. In other words, even if the slave flashes do have a built-in optical sensor (if not, you can a hot-shoe optical trigger very cheaply, though extra radio triggers, while slightly more expensive would be MUCH more reliable and versatile), you will be limited to manual flash exposure only.

Most people will regurgitate that the slave flashes (with optical triggers) will HAVE to be line-of-sight. Not true, they only need to recognize the master's flash. Using the built-in flash as commander, I've set slaves behind walls, behind the camera and all sorts of positions. Just bounce the light from the commander / master so that the slaves can see something. Small mirrors, aluminum foil or any highly reflective object / material can work.

Optical slaves just have to be tested, every time you change anything, to ensure that they'll fire. If they don't, then you're in a bit of a pickle. I used to have a trigger on a short sync cord that I could move around separately from the flash, which helped. Technically I still have it -- but WHERE?!

Also, optically triggering most likely won't work in daylight. Given the price of Yongnuo triggers, I'd just buy a set. (In fact, I did, and have been very pleased with them).

Also, optically triggering most likely won't work in daylight.
Actually, under most conditions, optical triggering works very well in daylight; you will lose some range, and potentially the ability to "go around corners" and such, but basic, straight-line triggering should work just fine.

Given the price of Yongnuo triggers, I'd just buy a set. (In fact, I did, and have been very pleased with them).
<< That!

Also, optically triggering most likely won't work in daylight.
Actually, under most conditions, optical triggering works very well in daylight; you will lose some range, and potentially the ability to "go around corners" and such, but basic, straight-line triggering should work just fine.

Yep. I remember reading all the propaganda about the limitations of the optical triggering system, and started fixin’ to buy some expensive radio triggers to get around the problem.

But so far, I’ve not bothered with the radio triggers because I’ve yet to encounter a situation where the optical system has failed me.

Don’t get me wrong, I realize there is greater potential with radio triggers, and I’m sure I’ll spring for them in a future fit of G.A.S., but for now I’m getting by just fine with what I have.

Most reactions

Back