would you be interested??

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Christina, Oct 16, 2007.

1. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    My suggestions would be very simple on the front and then consider one or two small pictures on the back of the card with a nice border on each. This way the front looks very professional and the back can show a couple examples of your work. Maybe one small picture in the top left corner on the front wouldn't hurt.

2. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm of the opinion that there isn't a 'poor' design, only different clients.
    Your 'clean' might be 'bland' to someone else.
    Your 'flashy' might be 'cheesy' to your neighbor.

Christina, first figure out who your potential clients are. It is hard to please everyone. Instead of spending top funds on market research or going with a 'this might work' design, the easiest solution is to start with you. You know more about you than anyone else. And there are many people on a similar wave length (regardless of nationality, race, language etc).
    What would YOU like to see on a similar card when you visit an ObGyn? More text (if so, what font, size, colour etc), more images (collage, one big photo, b&w, color, selective color, sleeping baby, a nursing momma, nude pregnant mom etc?), mixture of both?
    Make several designs, pin them all over your walls where you will come accross them when it's the last thing on your mind. Give it a few days. Now which one grabs your attention the most? Which one makes YOU say, "wow, this looks cool... I should check her website out!" ?
    Go with that (of course with more tinkering, if needed).

I'd hit Barnes & Noble for inspiration.​

3. guitarmy

guitarmy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't agree. That's like saying there's no 'poor photography', just different viewers. Which I also don't ascribe to.

There are general rules that apply to good design, just like there are general rules which apply to good photography (exposure, composition, etc). These rules CAN be broken, but you have to understand them in order to break them and make them aesthetically pleasing, imo. Find what some of the general rules are for design and apply those to your marketing materials. I know we're in an artistic/creative field, but usually bad is just bad.

4. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with you regarding the need for 'good' design. But we are talking about Sales here. Not art appreciation.

Try promoting your business with a card with selectively colored photos to someone who thinks it's cheesy.

5. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If designing is not your forte, I'd suggest to leave the job to a trained designer. It does not necessarily have to be an expensive option.

6. wildmaven

wildmaven TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    An OB/GYN office also sees very sad cases, many ending in the death of the child, so you might want to reword "those last months". ;)

Congrats! What an awesome opportunity to spread the word about your business!!

Marian

7. Christina

Christina TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

i didnt think about that :(