Would you buy a refurbished lens?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lets say its only 80% of the normal lens's cost, its US (no grey market), and it has the same warranty as the normal version.

I would just like an opinion. And also, why or why not you would.

no, if its a US lens it wouldn't have a UK warranty

no, if its a US lens it wouldn't have a UK warranty

Does this mean you buy grey market lenses? Since you don't live in the US, whether or not it can be worked on here doesn't really bother you?

I am curious. Maybe you're telling a joke and I don't get it. I'm kind of a ditz sometimes.

Does this mean you buy grey market lenses? Since you don't live in the US, whether or not it can be worked on here doesn't really bother you?

I am curious. Maybe you're telling a joke and I don't get it. I'm kind of a ditz sometimes.

no, if I bought a grey lens it wouldn't have a UK warranty

I have bought a couple of Nikon-refurbished Nikkors, and they have been fine. If they are available it seems like a reasonable way to save money.

Best,
Helen

no, if I bought a grey lens it wouldn't have a UK warranty

Although lenses (I don't know about refurbished ones) do often have international warrenties and some companies will still honour those warrenties - even if the lens is a grey.
Of hand I think canon do honour the warrenty whilst nikkon don't (from memory don't hold me to that)

Yes.

If Nikon is like most places then they do an out of box audit on 10% of all the new product they manufacture.

Whom ever does their reman will put every referb unit through a QA process.

I've never bought a Nikon refurbished lens, but I would have no problem doing so if there was one that I wanted available. I've bought many used lenses, and they've all been fine. Like anything else, check it out first, but it seems a great way to save a few $$.

I guess it makes a difference on what sort of equipment you use. I shoot with a 35-40 year old camera with a screw mount. The Takumar lenses, which I tend to seek out, are ALL used, so I have to take my chances sometimes. They are all manual, so I mainly just open up the aperture all the way, take a good look through it and make sure there isn't visible fungal growth going nuts all over the place, and then I run it through its paces to see if the f stops are all working, if the automatic diaphragm bit (if applicable) functions, if it focuses, and I then attach it to the camera and ask to point it at things at different distances and light levels.

If buying locally, I would take the camera body with you and try the lens on your camera. If they won't let you do that then maybe they don't need your money, either.

I haven't and I don't think I would... I don't ~think~ I would. Of course I could change my mind.
The thing that makes me question it is that it's been refurbished. Why? Something was wrong with it prior and it's been fixed. Who's to say it won't happen again? I know, I know, it could happen to any lens but...

Yes. Of course. No question about it. I would.

I have bought used but I think if it was available, I would feel more comfortable buying refurbished.

That is, my assumption is it has been taken apart, cleaned and tested ???

Cheers, Don

Absolutely. I have even bought used (not refurbished) lenses with no problem (knock wood). My Sigma 100-300 f4 was from ebay ... I got it for slightly over $500 in absolutely immaculate condition and it is ~ $1K new on Amazon.

I think if I were buying a lens second hand I really would want to check it out first and foremost. If its a serious expense and saving I would first go and try out a new version of the lens in a store so that I knew what the quality should be at for that lens - then I would buy from a second hand source that lets me test out the lens (thus somewhere local) that way I know that I am getting a good quaity second hand product.

ps - yes I know that there are many tales of success with this and there are also many failures as well - I think to be cautious and demanding of a high quality product (or at least one honouring the description give for it) is not out of the question

Most reactions

Back