Would you buy an International version of a camera?

Coreysaysyo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to get the Nikon d5300, and I can get the no warranty one for a lot cheaper, thus letting me get a better lens. Should I trust this international version ---> Amazon.com : Nikon D5300 DSLR Camera Body w/ Nikon 18-55mm VR Lens +HD U.V. Filter +6pc Starter Kit +2pcs 16GB Commander Extremespeed Memory Cards +Accessory Kit - International Version : Camera & Photo

Thanks guys, sorry if this seems like a major newbie question :)

p.s. This is the lens I would get with the saved money :D --> https://goo.gl/fHvWF1

The camera is probably fine, but Nikon will not service any grey market equipment.

All new Nikon cameras come with a warranty.

Nikon USA Service won't work on Nikon cameras that don't have a US serial number - in or out of warranty.

New Nikon cameras sold in the US that don't have a US Serial number (Gray Market) have a warranty but for warranty work one would send the camera to an appropriate service facility outside the USA.

Note how BH Photo/Video handles gray market gear they sell:
U.S. & Grey Market Products | B&H Photo Video

They toss it into the east river?? oh, no, I see they have a policy...

The problem could be down the road in getting it serviced. like Snowbear said. Maybe consider used, Adorama or B&H are reputable, or there's KEH.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I always buy gray market specifically because I don't like Nikon USA's policy that was backed up by the supreme court. The Nikon organization needs to fix things so a U.S. distributor doesn't have to operate in such a negative manner. Perhaps they could pay Nikon USA for gray market warranty repairs. Their unwillingness to handle service for pay on gray market products is indefensible. That is simply a business transaction and potentially profitable for Nikon USA. I love Nikon products but I'm not a fan of Nikon USA.

After owning scores of Nikon cameras and lenses over half a century, I have had only one issue. I had to send a camera to Japan for warranty service once. The turn around was 3 weeks. My cost was just the shipping to Japan. Compared to what I saved by buying gray market it is meaningless.

Nikon sells cameras with on-camera flashes, so I don't buy them either.

I am looking to get the Nikon d5300, and I can get the no warranty one for a lot cheaper, thus letting me get a better lens. Should I trust this international version ---> Amazon.com : Nikon D5300 DSLR Camera Body w/ Nikon 18-55mm VR Lens +HD U.V. Filter +6pc Starter Kit +2pcs 16GB Commander Extremespeed Memory Cards +Accessory Kit - International Version : Camera & Photo

Thanks guys, sorry if this seems like a major newbie question :)

p.s. This is the lens I would get with the saved money :D --> https://goo.gl/fHvWF1
I've owned my Nikon D5000 for about 10 years, and it's never needed any repairs, although I did send it on once for a general checkup and cleaning. Yes, it cost me some money, but it came back looking showroom-fresh. Yes, it is a U.S. warranty, so I have no experience with a gray-market camera. Just letting you know my experience with the reliability of the model.

Personally, I think I would recommend getting one with the U.S. warranty because you can't predict when or if a camera would need work, but Nikon will work on them in Japan so there's that.

The second lens is one that is usually packaged with the D7xxx series, and AFIK, it is a good lens, but still not what one would call a "professional" level lens. Besides, the 18-55 range is already covered with the standard 18-55mm lens that you will receive with that kit you linked to. That lens is entirely worth the money, considering you will be learning the entire system from scratch, and if you were to buy that lens individually it would be quite affordable. If you bought a used copy in good condition, I think they routinely run less than $200. That lens (the 18-55mm) is on my camera almost all the time in spite of the fact that I own three other Nikon lenses, and it's pretty good, actually.

As for the accessory items in the kit, you will need the battery and charger for sure, so no matter where you get one, make sure it included the battery and charger. I bought a second battery for backup after my first purchase.

The remaining items have questionable value in the long term, but you will still have fun exploring all the stuff, so not a complete loss there. I can tell you straight away that the little bag they have included is just way too small for any practical use. The SD cards do not have the "speed" number on them, so who knows how good they are? Upgrade SD cards are something you're going to be buying anyway.

If you really want to step outside your comfort zone, consider buying a used D5300 with a U.S. serial number. Then you can save money on the camera, and get that 18-140mm lens and probably still have money left over for a decent bag and tripod.

Look for used equipment in excellent condition at these fine retailers:

Adorama
KEH
B&H

After looking online, call and speak with somebody who can remember to tell you about any additional offers to go with it.

Would I buy a grey market camera?

In a word - no.

As previously mentioned a lot of places won't work on it for you at all, even for non-warranty work. The resale value on them takes a serious hit, if your honest enough to admit they are gray market when you go to sell it.

Frankly what little you save just isn't worth it in the long run.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back