TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1.) A bit out of focus, not enough DOF.
3379859245_dd8e520355_b.jpg

2.) 150 pounds (68kg) of pure heaven...
3379859755_652520229c_b.jpg

3.) Not sure about this one. I like it, but I don't. Too much wasted space, and too centered, I think.
3380678168_d99d9e3a24_b.jpg

All taken with the 50mm 1.8

The white balance seems a bit off on these, they have a lot of blue to them. Were you manually setting this?

#1 is out of focus a bit, but would've made for an interesting shot otherwise.

#2, the blue in the bottom corner should be cropped, and so should the top of the frame where the food ends. This might have made for a better shot if it were taken straight down, with everything in focus.

#3 is out of focus too, and your wasted space and centered comment is fitting. If it were in focus, you could easily crop this to make a good photo.

The awning overhead is blue, so that's why there is a blue tint. Pics were taken around 2pm, so the sun was pretty much at its brightest.

I'm having a lot of trouble focusing the 50mm on the D40 (no AF). I think I need to get a new eyeglass prescription.

Thanks for your comments. But Would you eat one???? That's the real question.

Also, this is the first time I've taken photos in a few weeks and it shows. Hit a tough spell at work...

i would not eat it as i dont like lobster. but your white balance is way off.

Not lobster, and maybe. Crawfish can be real good or real bad. Lobster, however, is always good.

I've had bad lobster.

And was reminded of it for days.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some lobster, but it's not always good.

But a crawfish boil? Count me in :)

AlexColeman

Thanks for not saying "crayfish." You are now an honorary Cajun. :cheers:

Rufus5150--I expect no less from a Texan.

Seriously, how would one compensate for the blue tint on everything in the camera--esp. a D40? Or is this something that can only be done in PP? Fill Flash to negate the "blue light" cast on everything?

Custom white balance. I don't know how you do it with a D40. With mine I shoot a grey card near full frame in the light and go through the menu and set the custom WB function. Works unless there's some very weird lights.

Here's a good tutorial on how to do it in post (in photoshop):

Adobe Photoshop Tutorial | Scott Kelby | Color Correction Techniques | Layers Magazine

Once you do one photo, if they're close, on the next photo open up the curves dialog while holding down the alt key and it will bring up the previous settings (this is provided you don't do another curves pass or something).

. But Would you eat one???? That's the real question.

Sorry, forgot to answer that one! I would definitely eat that. There's a place here in Seattle that does the same thing with our native seafood and just dumps it on your table to eat. I would love some cajun cooking though.

As for the photos, do you take a test pic, then zoom in on the LCD to check focus? That might help unless your eyes are really going bad. Then you just need to visit Lenscrafters.

had my first crawfish boil of the season a couple weekends ago. my only criticisms are with the food! first off the corn is no where near seasned enough. other than the crawfish, the super spicey corn is my favorite. also it looks like yall throw salt on em after. skip the salt next time and dump all of them (batch by batch) into an ice chest with a lid. then sprinkle a bunch of tony chachere's all over and shut the lid. let them stew for about 5 minutes then eat. so no onions, mushrooms, sausage, or lemons? haha looks really good though! they are still around $2.50/lb down here so im going to wait a couple more weeks for the next one.

oh and i really like the first photo. it looks like he is saying "hey whats up"

had my first crawfish boil of the season a couple weekends ago. my only criticisms are with the food! first off the corn is no where near seasned enough. other than the crawfish, the super spicey corn is my favorite. also it looks like yall throw salt on em after. skip the salt next time and dump all of them (batch by batch) into an ice chest with a lid. then sprinkle a bunch of tony chachere's all over and shut the lid. let them stew for about 5 minutes then eat. so no onions, mushrooms, sausage, or lemons? haha looks really good though! they are still around $2.50/lb down here so im going to wait a couple more weeks for the next one.

oh and i really like the first photo. it looks like he is saying "hey whats up"

Firstly, the corn WAS seasoned perfectly--enough to make your eyes water, and your nose just about to run. No onions, but plenty of sausage. As for the salt, they guy who purged them did a rush job, so there was a lot of salt left on them. They guy who boiled them does 1000 lb boils on a weekly basis, so needless to say, the bugs were well seasoned.

Lastly, the "season 'em in the ice chest" method is BLASPHEMY. I say BLASPHEMY!!!! Are you a blasphemer? :lol:

no no no my friend, the ice chest method puts that last little bit at the perfect time! its just that little something extra when you suck the heads! its obvious that yall take yalls crawfish just as seriously as we do. but i didnt see any beer drinking, or washer throwing in your pics????

Something you could do in pp is to mess with the color balance. Play with the blue and cyan settings. Start with the midtones, then the shadows, and lastly the highlights.

I am also very jealous of you...I havent had the chance to get me some good crawfish this year. And yes, i am orginally from Louisiana.

Not sure I would ever eat them. my parents cooked them once and there is little meat to them :blushing:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back