Would you give up the camera if you could be an artist?

would you give up photography in favor of being skilled in traditional art forms?

• Yes

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Maybe (Explain)

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
I'm already a skilled artist, making a good living from my craft...sooo...hmmm...

Yay! I get to keep my camera! :biglaugh:

Did somebody say bacon?

14872455608_02229e7665_o_d.jpg

Since I'm just a novice at photography, I would benefit more if this question were flipped. Drawing for me is absolutely no problem and if I trade that for photography skills then I think I'd get pretty decent at this real quick. However, as it currently stands, my photography skills are practically non-existent... :cry:

Being an "artist" doesn't omly mean you can draw. sketch, or paint.... Throw sculptors, carvers, poets, writters... jewelers :) and 100's of other trades peaple into that category....

painting, drawing and photography aare only a very small part of real art. :)

No. My cameras are the tools I use to make art and to express myself.

I might have started out frustrated by my lack of skill for traditional art, but as I explored photography, I realized that I didn't want to make traditional art anyway. I know that sounds like sour grapes ("Fine! Leave me out of your stinking group! I'll start my own and it'll be better!") but it's not - it was just a realization that I had come to at some point. There is still an urge for a more tactile involvement in the art, which I've mentioned before, and so using film and especially the Polaroids satisfy that urge, but it's a very satisfying medium for me and I feel no need to give it up in favor of the skill to paint or sculpt or draw.

I felt the same way about writing. I always knew I wanted to write and always assumed that I would write fiction. That's what "writers" do. They make up stories and write them in pretty ways. Then I realized that I kind of suck at writing fiction, but I do have a talent for non-fiction. That's when I understood that I didn't care about my suckage at short stories anymore because I could write the hell out of a creative essay. More importantly, that non-fiction writing fulfilled my desires to write, that they allowed me the self-expression that I wanted out of writing. So it went with my artistic pursuits. "Artists" paint, right? So that's what I assumed I had to do. Until I realized there was another way that turned out to be just as good.

This is a tough question for me because I always wanted to be an artist... The truth is, unfortunately, that I'm really not talented nor creative to be an artist.

If I'm going to be "the same skill/talent level as in photography" artist then the trading is not worthy at all.

Assuming art means non photographic forms of art.

Both my parents worked their whole lives in art, & I got reasonable artistic tallent from them. I failed to practice though so I'm probably not good enough to make a living at art.
There are avery wide range of different arts & if trading my photographic skills gave me similar level of skill in ALL of them I might be tempted.
Thousands of hours practice in stonecarving, woodcarving, oil paints, pastels....
If the offer is just one traditional art form, then I could possibly have that skill if I'd bothered to work at the artform, but Photography is the artform I chose.
Don't regret it at all, but I wouldn't mind time for some more woodcarving :)

Artist. I can't imagine the amount of work I would have to do to make 200k as a photographer! lol
If I'm painting, the only limitations I have are from my own imagination. ;)
40 weddings at $ 5,000 a pop.

Or 10 weddings at 20k a pop. Yeah, I know a guy I went to school with that can (and does) charge that.

I wouldn't give up a camera. I have phases of narcissism. I have to show off my work somehow... :p

I could not contemplate on my camera being in the shop for repairs. The thought of parting with photography brings me down to my knees sobbing inconsolably.

I would give up photography to be able to draw anime girls and tentacle monsters.

Most reactions

Back