Would you give up your camera for your safety?

Good stuff by @Gary A. . Virtually communicates the preparedness and common sense art of escapism. It truly is an art. His described techniques are taught in self defense training. Physical altercations are an anomaly, however always present. Gary was prepared that day but keep in mind he is a professional with a great deal of experience that you can use because of this forum. Gary may not have had Internet at that time... just saying....

Good stuff by @Gary A. . Virtually communicates the preparedness and common sense art of escapism. It truly is an art. His described techniques are taught in self defense training. Physical altercations are an anomaly, however always present. Gary was prepared that day but keep in mind he is a professional with a great deal of experience that you can use because of this forum. Gary may not have had Internet at that time... just saying....
Most importantly, Gary still got his shot. lol

I would hand over my camera. Heck, the last time someone pulled a gun on me I held out the car keys, but all they wanted was cash.

I would hand over my camera. Heck, the last time someone pulled a gun on me I held out the car keys, but all they wanted was cash.
Well a gun is a different story.

I carry more to shoot with than just a camera............ if you get my drift.

This. Also not looking to make this a gun debate, just stating how I do things. I wouldn't even consider making myself a target by walking around with thousands of dollars in camera gear, unless I had a reliable way to defend myself. The world is a scary place, and I just like having the best odds of survival I can.

Pro TIp: If you ever find yourself on the verge of a physical altercation start removing your clothing. No one wants to fight a naked person. Bonus points if you make it sexy.

Pro TIp: If you ever find yourself on the verge of a physical altercation start removing your clothing. No one wants to fight a naked person. Bonus points if you make it sexy.
Au contraire mon frere. Apparently you have never been dispatched to a riot at a gay bath house.

Au contraire mon frere. Apparently you have never been dispatched to a riot at a gay bath house.

There are always exceptions to the general rule.

There are always exceptions to the general rule.

This was quite the exception all right. Try to visualize if you will the above scene minus horses and clothes. That was pretty much what it was like when we walked in. Thankfully "The Tub" closed several years ago. It was our little slice of New York, or a New York bath house from years ago. The stories I could tell you about that place would fill a book.

This is why I like photographing trees and streams. Although, once, I had a squirrel who seemed pretty upset.........

This is why I like photographing trees and streams. Although, once, I had a squirrel who seemed pretty upset.........

If a tree fell on a photographer in the forest and killed him, did it make any sound? :confused-55:

Had a few woods encounters. Several deer no problems there, couple with a black bear (he was more curious than scary), two bobcat encounters that always scare the crap out of me when they scream, and I didn't know they were there, and one with a cougar (4 legs, that scared me out of the woods for awhile). I never had any complaints about my photos of them, though I'll admit it's hard to remember to take the shot when something either scares the crap out of you, or you're afraid you might be found in the crap later.

I have an Olympus TG4 on a lanyard if I'm not being paid. That thing can do some serious damage to a face.

Most reactions

Back