Would you purchase this lens with minimal fungus?

deggimatt

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have to opportunity to purchase this lens with minimal fungus under the front element.
The lens is a Tamron SP 70-200MM F/2.8 DI VC USD Lens.

Should I grab it or stay away?

Here are the pictures:

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

From what I understand fungus will never fully go away and will only get worse; however I recall reading that fungus in one lens can spread to others if kept in the same confined space (eg a bag). Which is one reason some avoid fungus infected lenses in general.

Also your profile says you've already got a 70-200mm f2.8 so what are you hoping from the second lens?

Never ever! Fungus can switch over to other lenses. Just my 2 cents.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

From what I understand fungus will never fully go away and will only get worse; however I recall reading that fungus in one lens can spread to others if kept in the same confined space (eg a bag). Which is one reason some avoid fungus infected lenses in general.

Also your profile says you've already got a 70-200mm f2.8 so what are you hoping from the second lens?

I just want to invest in a 70-200 2.8 with optical stabilization.

It would probably be better to keep saving and consider selling your other 70-200mm to help put money toward an upgrade when the time comes.

Fungus will not switch from lens to lens. Fungal spores are EVERYWHERE. If the lenses are stored in dark & humid conditions some of those spores will grow. Lenses stored together are usually in the same conditions...

If the fungus is only on the inside of the front element it should be relatively easy to remove - but I wouldn't want to go into the internals of a zoom lens! Leaving the front of the lens exposed to daylight/UV for several days should kill that fungus (but not remove it) if you don't want to open it straight away.

If I had need of a lens of that focal length & the price was reduced sufficiently I wouldn't be to worried about that bit of fungus. It WILL reduce the amount you can sell the lens for if you later want to change so a discount for it's condition is essential.

Fungus will not switch from lens to lens. Fungal spores are EVERYWHERE. If the lenses are stored in dark & humid conditions some of those spores will grow. Lenses stored together are usually in the same conditions...

If the fungus is only on the inside of the front element it should be relatively easy to remove - but I wouldn't want to go into the internals of a zoom lens! Leaving the front of the lens exposed to daylight/UV for several days should kill that fungus (but not remove it) if you don't want to open it straight away.

If I had need of a lens of that focal length & the price was reduced sufficiently I wouldn't be to worried about that bit of fungus. It WILL reduce the amount you can sell the lens for if you later want to change so a discount for it's condition is essential.

This..........
Thumbsup-1.gif

The seller is selling this for $530. I read somewhere that the fungus in this lens might be INSIDE the element. This front element is an assembly of 2 bits of glass, and they look to be glued in a plastic shroud.

Thank you guys. I have passed on this lens. Feel free to continue this discussion as it might be helpful to other people.

While the fungus itself is not a major concern - fungal spores are everywhere - it does say the lens has been stored in poor conditions which will also impact on other aspects such as the in-lens electronics.

Thank you guys. I have passed on this lens. Feel free to continue this discussion as it might be helpful to other people.
In a telephoto lens (like this one) anything on the front element will not affect your images. It will simply not show up. The tiny bit of fungus we see is almost negligible, so I would steal this lens, kill the fungus (sunlight) and just use it the way it is.

Fungus doesn't "travel" from place to place, and if you kill that piece, it will not spread within the lens. Good lens stewardship (keep them in a cool (but not cold) place, and in low humidity (silica gel packs) should give you many years of service.

I would buy this lens for $530.

This is what I've done with lenses that had fungus that wasn't easy to get to. It works. I've bought several lenses that had small amounts of fungus and was able to treat them in this fashion successfully, or else I was able to open them up and eliminate the fungus.

This tiny bit of fungus looks like it's on the inside of the front element. This is usually the easiest area to clean. Most lenses have slotted retainer rings, where a lens spanner can be used to remove the ring, and then the front element. Once the element is out, cleaning this little bit of fungus should be easy enough. I've been able to wipe off small traces heavier than this just by rubbing on it with my thumb. If you don't feel up to the task of removing the front element, you can always take it to a camera repair shop, and they can do it for you. Their charge should be minimal, since it's just on the front element.

Most reactions

Back