Would you say that Canon SL1 is the best DSLR camera for travelling?

petrochemist

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Jeff15

Photographizing junkie!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
There must be dozens of cameras that are suitable for traveling, what are you willing to spend.? Do you want the camera to be portable so that you don't heavy cameras and lenses.?

Last edited:

Strodav

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
There is no best and what I would consider best, may not be best for you. The person who wrote the one article you presented has his own bias as well. You will have to decide what factors / features are important to you based on how you are planning to use the camera and your knowledge of the art and science of photography, then do the research. Remember, advice is worth what you pay for it.

Right now, there are great deals out there on used gear in excellent condition. You might want to look at keh.com

JoeW

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Photos OK to edit
Nope, definitely not the best. In fact, by the standards I'd use, it's trash.

You see, for my travel, I'm going to be shooting wildlife. I want 10-12 FPS. That Canon only manages 4 fps. It's not an articulating screen on the back so not good for food or macro photography. Frankly, I hate the grip on the this camera--my hands aren't small and I prefer a body that fits me better--this camera isn't it. The popup flash has less output than a range of other Canons and it doesn't work as a "commander" for slaves or off-camera speed lights either. I don't think it performs well at high ISO levels so shooting in low light (ie: a common travel situation) isn't a strong point. Finally, none of the EOS series are designed as "weather proofed" cameras and for a camera you're going to take on the road, I think that's a significant consideration.

For me, the Nikon D5 or D500 would be the idea travel camera--tough, hardy, weather-proofed, great ISO range, tremendous FPS. And you're probably gagging at this point saying "those bodies are too heavy, too big!"

And that's my point. "BEST"???? That totally depends on your criteria. The Canon EOS SL1 is very small and light. But it's inferior to an iPhone 14 (if size and weight are your primary considerations). And I know some people who use high-end cameras but still rely heavily on their phones for travel photography because even the Canon EOS SL1 is too big or too heavy. So in order to label anything "best" you've got to be clear on your criteria. And also be clear that those criteria aren't universal for everyone.

It sounds like your definition of "best" is: small and light. Yep, this SL1 is indeed that. Not as small and light as an iPhone. Or a lot of point-and-shoots. Which again doesn't make the SL1 a bad camera. But to truly say "best" is a function of the criteria you're using. And saying "I really like this camera so I'm going to say 'it's the best!' " doesn't work.

One last point--I think the view of any camera as the "best" travel camera is probably badly misguided. I think it's more likely to be about the lens. You can pick any camera in the world. But with the wrong lens (or lenses) it can be a terrible travel camera. The lens is going to shape what you can shoot and how well you can shoot it.

Most reactions

New Topics