Wow, I have to get a camera like that...

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hear it over and over when I show people my shots... "Wow, that's so cool, I have to get a camera like that..." or "I have to get a lens like that..."

Do ya ever just want to tell somebody who says this to you "Yeah, that's all it is... the fancy camera" or "the fancy lens..."

Sigh.

When someone says that, invite yourself over to their house for super. After supper say to them: 'That supper was delicious, you must have very nice pots & pans'.

I hear it over and over when I show people my shots... "Wow, that's so cool, I have to get a camera like that..." or "I have to get a lens like that..."

Do ya ever just want to tell somebody who says this to you "Yeah, that's all it is... the fancy camera" or "the fancy lens..."

Sigh.

Yes, I know that ... "There you can see what difference an expensive camera makes." .. I just ignore that ...

When someone says that, invite yourself over to their house for super. After supper say to them: 'That supper was delicious, you must have very nice pots & pans'.

:lol:

You have to admit it though, using a wallet sized P&S is going to give different results than a 35mm system and an 85mm f/1.4. even if the crop and composition is exactly the same, you've got completely different perspective becuase you've got insane DOF from the little P&S and super short DOF from the 85 f/1.4 thus throwing the BG completely out of focus.

:lol:

You have to admit it though, using a wallet sized P&S is going to give different results than a 35mm system and an 85mm f/1.4. even if the crop and composition is exactly the same, you've got completely different perspective becuase you've got insane DOF from the little P&S and super short DOF from the 85 f/1.4 thus throwing the BG completely out of focus.

if with our camera's we weren't able to create something better than with a rather cheap p&s, then we would not have bought our expensive toys ;)

but in many cases, with easy light and where you do not want shallow DOF, a p&s is just good for the job and sometimes it is hard to distinguish results if the p&s was used by someone knowing what he or she was doing ...

Of course there are things you simply cannot do with a p&s ... I know that.

You have to admit it though, using a wallet sized P&S

Oh, and you must be living in the stone age ... wallet sized ... they aren't that huge anymore :p

nice one!

another possibility would be showing them an old and very simple camera among a few latest-model expensive ones and ask them to find the camera that you used to take the nice shoots.... kid of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, know what I mean? (and I DON'T mean to draw comparisons between the Grail and a old MF film camera vs digi-wonders!)

WTD95.gif

....i was so going to post something like this but sabath beat me to it! just the other day i was taking pictures of humming birds at this bbq thingy with the family and someone brought the fact i was doing it to the attention of everyone there, so everyone wanted to see the results....i heard nothing about the fact i was a good photographer but i did hear more than a few comments about how amazing my camera was and how i needed to help them all find and price cameras like it. people just dont understand.

I see it all the time. But the worst is I hear it from another photographer.

There were some lovely photos posted by a member on this forum of a girl (his girlfriend or something I can't remember). When I linked him to it his first reaction was I wish I had a lens that sharp. That sparked a huge argument about sharpness aperture, and in the end I had enough so I PMed the photographer.

The results were taken with a D70 and a kit lens, and the other photographer just stood there dumbfounded.

I find it ok if clueless people say things like that, but when a good photographer starts blaming his equipment on bad pictures that's just sad.

Yeah my girlfriend has shot pictures for years and I got into photography about 5 months ago. She uses an SLR-like P&S but everytime I make a great shot she blames my nice camera for making her feel like a bad photography. Iwant to say "Honey, you shoot in auto mode, that is your fault." But then I'd be in the dog house. She blames my getting an SLR the demise for her love of photography. "Every time I take a photo you have a photo that your camera makes so much better! I hate photography now, you just pick up that $800 toy and act like you're talented." It hurt to hear that, but I don't talk about photography to her anymore. Wouldn't you say that's just bad sportsmanship? Worst part is, she refuses to let me teach her how to use the manual settings on her camera. She's like "I don't care, I won't get your results anyway."

P.S. this also makes me feel less talented. Do you guys think I should say anyhting to her or just keep her and photography separate (she sparked my love of photography!)

Oh, and you must be living in the stone age ... wallet sized ... they aren't that huge anymore :p

Well, I don't' exactly have a big wallet. :p

Yeah my girlfriend has shot pictures for years and I got into photography about 5 months ago. She uses an SLR-like P&S but everytime I make a great shot she blames my nice camera for making her feel like a bad photography. Iwant to say "Honey, you shoot in auto mode, that is your fault." But then I'd be in the dog house. She blames my getting an SLR the demise for her love of photography. "Every time I take a photo you have a photo that your camera makes so much better! I hate photography now, you just pick up that $800 toy and act like you're talented." It hurt to hear that, but I don't talk about photography to her anymore. Wouldn't you say that's just bad sportsmanship? Worst part is, she refuses to let me teach her how to use the manual settings on her camera. She's like "I don't care, I won't get your results anyway."

P.S. this also makes me feel less talented. Do you guys think I should say anyhting to her or just keep her and photography separate (she sparked my love of photography!)
Than buy her an SLR, boost her ego.

"I hear it over and over when I show people my shots... "Wow, that's so cool, I have to get a camera like that..." or "I have to get a lens like that...""

I find that far more interesting conversations develop when I'm wandering about with an old 35mm such as a Kiev, Fed, Zorky or perhaps an American rig such as an Argus C4. Not surprisingly, the person who makes an opening gambit is often from one of the old 'Iron Curtain' countries. The ensuing conversations often take many interesting twists and turns.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back