Wow, I just saw some of the worst wedding pics by experienced pro's I have ever seen!

A portfolio is just like a resume. Everybody avoids the bad stuff in their resume...

As Garbz points out the only thing "Pro" means is that you get paid for your work. Get over it people. Btw, that is, for those of us in the US, the same definition used by the IRS. And there is nothing new about that.

As quite a few thread on this forum have said, the business of photography has way more to do with business than with photography. If this is wrong, how do you explain such things as the MallWart portrait studio? Not to say that they are bad. I don't think so. They are just extremely boring in my book.

Unfortunate? Yes, I agree. But only as someone who cares about quality. And quality is far, far from the mind of most consumers. If quality mattered at all we wouldn't even have stores like WM. We wouldn't have MP3's either.

Our entire so called advanced society is evolving more and more into one of lesser quality. Why would it be different with weddings?

Actually they have portfolio's online for each photographer. And the pictures are decent to very good. Obviously they would only put in the best pictures. Even looking at what they call a full set is no real indication. As if you look at a set of say 500 pictures. How many pictures were actually taken to get to the 500?? Did they take 1,500. So only 1 in 3 are useable? Or did they only take 600. Where 5 of 6 are useable. That is the biggest tale of how good a photographer is!

Recently there was another thread "Would you hire a professional with a D40" and some posters kept insisting that the portfolio is absolutely the ONLY thing that matters.

A portfolio should only be 1 part of the interview process. If a photographer were to go to say a newspaper for a job. Yes you take a portfolio with you. That only gets you face time. The rest of the process and proceding interviews they pick your brain on how, where, when, and why you took the photo's.

A portfolio is only part of the equasion!!!

Yup!

Our entire so called advanced society is evolving more and more into one of lesser quality.

The problem is that everyone wants a "good price" and consequently every product (and service) is thought to be a commodity. Who in his right mind would brag about over-paying? Hell, TPF posters routinely ask advice about purchasing cameras from Scru-U.com. The respected Consumer Reports is one of the major players here. They routinely publish articles on getting the best price and even sell a service that allegedly helps you get the best possible price for a car. As long as the bulk of the population bases purchase decisions primarily on price, this problem will continue.

Thats too bad about the shots. This scenario is why I will never hire a photographer that I dont personally follow and know or that has not done previous work for someone I know. Too many people out there getting paid for a crap job. Ive done a few jobs and seemed to have very happy clients. I am not a pro by any means but I see some of the stuff being sold out there and wonder why I dont jump into it faster. I guess I feel it would be an injustice to the field, craft, art, and clients of photography if I did not put my time behind making my work better.

Unfortunatly I think my mentality is in the minority for many Amatuers with a nice camera and a few decent shots.

*sigh*

I have a Nikon Coopix L20 I think I will compete with some of the ones I see hear. Im guessing nobody will notice the difference. I mean why use my D300? It would be on par with some of the ones I see on Craigs the CP will be just fine.

Wow,some link Craig provides. A British photographer who did a wedding and produced only 22 of 404 still photos judged to be of adequate quality, plus an absolutely amateurish wedding video? "Woefully inadequate" performance on the part of the photographer, according to the judge.

Wow...22 of 404...that is appallingly poor shooting.

As you can see, over here suing is only for those who have money to begin with, ordinary people with an average income of around $600 a week are lucky to be awarded their outlay, if she'd been a rich ***** the judge would have bankrupted this dickhead. H

Most reactions

Back