Reaction score
Website
www.higg.co.uk
riverfire2000.jpg

01.jpg

:shock: :shock:
River Fire Festival... Can anyone tell me any more???? :D

u just scared the bejeezus out of me
i thought i was witnessing pictures of the latest terror attack on sydney harbour.

sydney where? thats not my sydney

That first pic is awesome! But I didn't know what it was, either, Manda! :shock:

allegedly it's something to do with jet planes flying low, dumping fuel and then lighting it as they fly off.... ?

After-burners maybe? I believe they work by injecting fuel directly into the exhaust (for lack of a better term) for added power.

Very cool shots, nonetheless. Looks like an interesting festival.

its a time delay of the afterburners...jay is absolutly correct.

md

graigdavis said:
captain-spanky said:
allegedly it's something to do with jet planes flying low, dumping fuel and then lighting it as they fly off.... ?

Thats something I would want to sit directly underneath.
Lol. I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully it is just the afterburners because I doubt standing under dumped fuel isn't the way people like to end their lives. :wink:

Harpper said:
graigdavis said:
captain-spanky said:

Thats something I would want to sit directly underneath.
Lol. I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully it is just the afterburners because I doubt standing under dumped fuel isn't the way people like to end their lives. :wink:

Just for reference, jet fuel is very similar to kerosene, you can toss a match into a bucket of it and the match will go out.
Nothing like gasoline at all.
BTW, love the pics.

From the Air Force guy...namely ME :)

The aircraft involved is an F-111 Bomber. The display is called a "dump and burn", and you were all pretty well getting the technical side of the details correct. The fuel jettison port on the bomber is located directly between the engine exhausts. They "dump" the fuel and then ignite ("burn") it by lighting the afterburners. So you are seeing a long exposure of the burn in these pics. I have some daytime pics of it so i will upload them to my site and post them for you to look at.

Here's one ...

Sorry the resident military dude was slow getting onto this one but i have spent the last few days on my back (don't start) :) . I was playing soccer and did one of those injuries to my knee that you always cringe at. Tried to make my quad touch my shin. Lots of cussing, swelling and hobbling going on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back