Wow, look what I saw....

brighteyesphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.brighteyesphotos.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wanted to catch the fading light over this old foundation that is off the path to the old cemetary that I mentioned in my other thread. It's amazing how this is in the middle of an industrial park but yet I felt like I was out in the middle of nowhere. When I pulled up to park my car near the gate, I spied two deers eating grass. I immediately slowed down and grabbed my camera. I put my 75-300mm lens on and got out of the car, leaving the car running and the door opened. I did not want them to take off on me. I slowly walked towards them, maximizing my zoom and hoping I would get at least one good shot. I wasn't even sure if I actually had the buck in the frame because he stood so still. He must have heard my shutter because he froze and just watched me. And then decided he was going to walk off. Then I noticed that there were two does, not just one and they were lingering behind. They both were curious and were actually walking towards me! I was amazed and snapped away. When you look closely at the pictures of the buck you can see that he is maybe a 4 or 6 point buck, maybe even 8.

DSC01407.jpg

DSC01417.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

DSC01436.jpg

you did well to spot those, love number 2

Too cool.
I have never managed to get these kinds of photos. Try as I might, they always are either far to far away or run away from me (or no longer offer any nice sight, i.e. after they ran into my car, but that is another story all together ... :roll: ). I met a doe the other day out in the wild who was nicely close, but THE TWO OF US were frozen in that moment (and I did not have the camera ready at the time, doh :er: ) - we both stood totally still and looked at each other. And then she walked on and I got the camera out - a bit late :roll: !

LaFoto said:
Too cool.
I have never managed to get these kinds of photos. Try as I might, they always are either far to far away or run away from me (or no longer offer any nice sight, i.e. after they ran into my car, but that is another story all together ... :roll: ). I met a doe the other day out in the wild who was nicely close, but THE TWO OF US were frozen in that moment (and I did not have the camera ready at the time, doh :er: ) - we both stood totally still and looked at each other. And then she walked on and I got the camera out - a bit late :roll: !
If you want to shoot wildlife, go to a place where you might expect them, sit down silently, get ready for shooting, and wait. And wait. And wait, And wait.
And then you wait some more!
You don't get "these kinds of photos" in 1/60th of a sec while randomly ambling through the woods.

I think I know that, too.

LaFoto said:
I think I know that, too.
If you do, your remark "I have never managed to get these kinds of photos. Try as I might, they always are either far to far away or run away from me" sounds kind of silly.

Thanks a lot.
May it sound silly to you - I stand by my remarks.
Where is your deer photo then for us to see - and none taken off Wikipedia!?!?

LaFoto said:
Where is your deer photo then for us to see - and none taken off Wikipedia!?!?

No thanks. No deer photos for me. I don't have enough patience for that. And it is usually too darn cold in our climes to wait for hours in a hide-out. So I don't even try.
The difference is I don't 'regret' in public that I can't get one!

I prefer shirtsleeves and wildlife that doesn't run away!

Because it doesn't have to, at 1200mm focal length
T0411-1225.jpg

or because it can't anymore ;-P
T0411-3038.jpg

or because it doesn't even know I exist
T0411-0769.jpg

W.Smith said:
The difference is I don't 'regret' in public that I can't get one!

Well, you might see that my "public regret" is just one way to express my admiration for the photo that is shown in the thread (to begin with), to say that I see in how far this is a good, lucky, noteworthy experience to see and also photograph wild animals in the wild, even in colder climates, not wearing only a t-shirt. And that is what it is supposed to mean!

LaFoto said:
Well, you might see that my "public regret" is just one way to express my admiration for the photo that is shown in the thread (to begin with), to say that I see in how far this is a good, lucky, noteworthy experience to see and also photograph wild animals in the wild, even in colder climates, not wearing only a t-shirt. And that is what it is supposed to mean!
Then it would have helped if you had actually said that in the first place...
Now it sounded like an ignorant city-slicker who, when she hikes in the woods for the first time ever, moans that the deer aren't waiting in droves to get their picture taken!

What great captures! We used to have frequent visits from deer in my childhood home. They are beautiful to watch, and how wonderful that you got to see them so close.

W. Smith, LaFoto was replying to the original photo & poster and I don't believe she needs to expain anything to you. I would appreciate it if you concentrate on the subject of this post, not her reply. Thank you.

Cool stuff Brighteyes.. Dontcha love it when nature is on our side.
I had a similar incident last summer. I was out with my dog, turn around and there is this deer facing me. Put pooch in the car and fired off a few shots before the deer ran off. Just the experience was amazing enough.
Nicely done...thanks for sharing these

These are well spotted keep 'em coming

As an aside, to some of the replys on this thread I find it very helpful and kind when people post shots that show how you can Way OVER SHARPEN an image [i'm being irronic just in case some don't realise it]

Keep up your honesty Lafoto we all love ya!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back