Wrong with 70-200mm F2.8

Lightsped

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Have an older 70-200mm F-2.8G lens. Just learned that something is preventing the AF from working. Have tried this lens on multiple bodies. Have double and triple checked that AF is selected on the lens (and various bodies).

When attempting to use the lens, I look through the view finder and lightly press the shutter button. The lens makes a single click sound and sounds like it is attempting to AF for 3 seconds or so. I am able to manual focus with this lens.

Any ideas? Anyone else had a similar occurance?

Possibly the autofocus motor is burned out or a wire has come loose. Both issues happen sometimes.

Since you have tried the lens on several bodies, have you checked and cleaned the CPU contacts on the lens?

They are spring assisted so they all should be exposed on the rear lens contact block to the same height, make sure they are as this could be the issue. You can check the spring tension by depressing each one of them, they should push right back up when released. Some say a cloth dampened with Isopropyl alcohol wiped across these will clean them up, Nikon suggest a dry cloth does the job.

Update:

Attempted to clean the CPU contacts. Still won't work.
Took the lens to KEH Camera and had them check the lens out. They claim the lens does need a new AF motor. KEH does not have the parts necessary to fix since the lens is older VR 1 version.

Am I better off sending the lens to Nikon to be fixed? If so, how is this done and what kind of price should I expect?

I seem to recall Nikon was not going to supply parts to third party repair shops, not sure when that was coming into effect though.

Personally, I'd send that lens to Nikon, check their website for contact info. They may even be able to give you an estimate but expect it to cost a few hundred dollars.

550 Dollars Is my guess, for the part and the labor. You might have yourself a brand new manual focus 70-200...

Went to KEH today to pick up Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II paper weight. While there, I went ahead and bought another Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II. Appears to be in very good shape. Hope I didn't make a mistake.

What do folks do with their manual focus Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II lenses? Not sure what to do with my old one.....

Did you send it to Nikon for repair a estimate?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back