WSJ: "Cameras Succumb to Smartphone Juggernaut"

that was almost interesting until i realized they said apple iphone 5s EVERY OTHER SENTENCE!
it read more like an iphone sales pitch than an actual informed article.

I agree that it sounds like an iPhone commercial.

However, for professionals and enthusiasts, nothing will beat the feeling of holding a camera in the hands, composing the image, checking your settings, tra la la, taking the shot and seeing what you have.

Also, what's the deal with people now tilting their heads to the side when having their picture taken? What happened to the "back straight, head up" pose?

The title is a little breathless, but when the Journal publishes something like this, it's time to pay attention:

Cameras: Latest Victims of the Smartphone Juggernaut - WSJ.com

Headline : Another Scare Tactic Article that Has No Appreciation for Real Market Data

Yup, just another lets take a mishmash of information and try to proclaim the death of the DSLR. People use cell phone cameras for the same reason they go to McDonald's drive thru, because of the convenience. But guess what, despite the billions sold by McDonalds, local steak houses and fine dining facilities are still in operation and doing fine. Why? Simple, because there is still a segment of the market place that cares about quality and will pay for quality over convenience.

Same for cameras. Anyone who says differently, well they are talking out of an orafice that is not normally used for such a purpose.</SPAN>

Yeah...according to the author, the "Apple iPhone 5s will replace portable GPS systems, home computers, stopwatches, wristwatches, waffle irons, and home stereos. The iPhone 5s has a processor that's a billion times faster than the processor in any waffle iron made since 1964, and will revolutionize the world with iWaffles, ordered and delivered via smartphone with only a 13- to 22-hour lead time necessary to provide hot, crisp waffles (well, frozen waffles made hot and crisp by virtue of a 30-second microwave nuking, followed by a 5-minute oven bake at 450 degrees).Android-based phones SUCK, and will mark you as an old fart."

Yeah...according to the author, the "Apple iPhone 5s will replace portable GPS systems, home computers, stopwatches, wristwatches, waffle irons, and home stereos. The iPhone 5s has a processor that's a billion times faster than the processor in any waffle iron made since 1964, and will revolutionize the world with iWaffles, ordered and delivered via smartphone with only a 13- to 22-hour lead time necessary to provide hot, crisp waffles (well, frozen waffles made hot and crisp by virtue of a 30-second microwave nuking, followed by a 5-minute oven bake at 450 degrees).Android-based phones SUCK, and will mark you as an old fart."

Wait just a cotton pickin minute here.. ok, I can live without my stopwatch. I can forgo GPS. I can do without my home computer or stereo. But you ain't getting my waffle iron. Not happening. Lol...

Just amazes me how many of these people are on the "smartphones will replace X" kick, then they base their conclusion on the fact that so many people own a smartphone. Well ya, duh - I own a smartphone too. I use it for making phone calls and the occasional texting. But you know what, I still own a DSLR, and I'll buy another one eventually, and another after that and another after that. Just because I own a smarthphone doesn't mean it's replaced everything and is the end all be all of my existence. That's why I always laugh when I see these articles.

Manjoo is just about the worst technology fanboy in the world. He's always breathless, always the apologist for the tech industry, always extolling the next wave of everything as a total game changer.

Sometimes he's right. His natural inclinations happen to be aligned with actual trends, so he's right more or less by accident a lot of the time.

I hate his guts, though. He makes his living telling us all about how flying cars will make everything awesome in the future. And, while we might have whatever Manjoo's idea of flying cars is today or not, the fact is that they're not going to make anything better.

Manjoo is just about the worst technology fanboy in the world. He's always breathless, always the apologist for the tech industry, always extolling the next wave of everything as a total game changer.

Sometimes he's right. His natural inclinations happen to be aligned with actual trends, so he's right more or less by accident a lot of the time.

I hate his guts, though. He makes his living telling us all about how flying cars will make everything awesome in the future. And, while we might have whatever Manjoo's idea of flying cars is today or not, the fact is that they're not going to make anything better.

Write to Farhad Manjoo at [email protected]

Just amazes me how many of these people are on the "smartphones will replace X" kick, then they base their conclusion on the fact that so many people own a smartphone. Well ya, duh - I own a smartphone too. I use it for making phone calls and the occasional texting. But you know what, I still own a DSLR, and I'll buy another one eventually, and another after that and another after that. Just because I own a smarthphone doesn't mean it's replaced everything and is the end all be all of my existence. That's why I always laugh when I see these articles.

Well I hate to break it to you but you are old. Every kid by age 8 has a smartphone/tablet/laptop, this allows every kid to have a camera in their pocket. Kids will grow up not knowing what it's like to have a device dedicated to ONLY taking photos. Getting these kids to buy a DSLR is going to be a tough sell because camera phones are only going to get better.

I would say not to scoff too much at this type of article because it's closer to reality than lots of people would care to admit.

Yes, just because Farhad is a putz doesn't mean the DSLR market isn't going to shrink a very great deal in the next decade. Of course it will.

Farhad is just a day late, a dollar short, and wayyyy too excited about Apple products.

Farhad is just a day late, a dollar short, and wayyyy too excited about Apple products.

Well there is a lot to get excited about. Well maybe pre-Cook.

he probably just Manjoo'd in his pants because Apple sent him a free 5s for his writeup.

The Apple iPhone 5s is the BESTEST, MOST-AWESOMEST SMART PHONE EVER!!!!!!!!!!! All other phones that came before the Apple iPhone 5s sucked, and sucked hard!!!!!

Signed,
F. Manjoo, WSJ

Every kid by age 8 has a smartphone/tablet/laptop, this allows every kid to have a camera in their pocket. Kids will grow up not knowing what it's like to have a device dedicated to ONLY taking photos. Getting these kids to buy a DSLR is going to be a tough sell because camera phones are only going to get better.

Actually, I believe it works both ways. Yes, a lot of kids will use smartphones instead of cameras. On the other hand, smartphones will introduce a lot of kids to photography. Most kids will be like this Manjoo guy who knows sweet FA about a good image, but many will figure it out and will buy a proper camera.

Well I hate to break it to you but you are old. Every kid by age 8 has a smartphone/tablet/laptop, this allows every kid to have a camera in their pocket. Kids will grow up not knowing what it's like to have a device dedicated to ONLY taking photos. Getting these kids to buy a DSLR is going to be a tough sell because camera phones are only going to get better.

I would say not to scoff too much at this type of article because it's closer to reality than lots of people would care to admit.

I'll believe it when I see it. Am I getting old? Yup, I sure am. A little older each day. I've got one grandchild already, and probably more on the way in the next few years. So what. I've heard this massive over generalization of the youth of America before, still doesn't wash.

Just because your average 8 year old will go to Mcdonald's a heck of a lot more often than they will a good restaurant doesn't mean that all good restaurants will no longer exist and Mcdonald's will be the only available option then that 8 year old is my age now.

I'm still waiting for all of us to have flying cars and for me to be able to move to that colony on the moon if I feel like it. That's where they said we would be when I was a kid. I'm also waiting for them to stop manufacturing mercedes, lexus, lamborghini - yes all of these brands will be gone in 5 years. I mean after all, how many 8 year olds get to ride around in luxury vehicles. Since the vast majority of them only are exposed to Chevy or Ford why then Mercedes might as well lock it's doors and go out of business now. No way they are ever going to be able to sell a car at all in 5 years or 10 years since so few of the kids today have ever ridden in one, right?

So ya, heard it before, will hear it again - still don't believe a word of it.

Most reactions

Back