WTF Canon

I think Canon is still stuck in fixed categories. They didn't mean to start the DSLR video revolution and still don't want to cater to it even now. But they also don't want to short video features in their DSLRs so much that they'd lose business. Hence, such token efforts to make video easier on their DSLRs. I'd say that the C100 wasn't a misstep. A little overpriced when new and cobbled with a lousy EVF and no overcrank but it's still a nice cam and I know a lot of guy that still use them including myself. Noticeably better footage than the mkIII, though the full frame sensor still has better low light noise performance. The C100 is significantly sharper and in a good filmic way. Downsampled 4K GH4 footage is sharper yet but looks really video and doesn't have as nice of color science. Camcorder form factor with NDs on a switch are what make it worth the extra money over the 5D mkIII to dedicated video guys. Also, no need to sync sound since the pre's on the C100 are very good. To rig a 5D mkIII to do what a C100 can so easily would end up costing you more than a C100 mkII and you still have to sync sound.

I disagree on some points. The audio doesn't require any syncing when using a wireless pack. as for the sharpness the trick is to disable the stupid picture styles that come on the camera. This way you get a nice grade able and flat image that respond nicely to a minor sharpening in post.

But I will say the c100 is decnt but the price point is too high which is why everyone either goes for the c300 or stay with the mkiii.

That's probably the best way to do sound internally. Pipe a hot clean signal into the camera. But you can't completely suppress the horrible DSLR preamps so you'll always get some fuzz. The overall internal sound quality on the 5D is pretty low which is fine for simple dialogue. But once the sound gets more complicated and requires editing/cleanup/sound effects, the higher quality sound that you'd get from an external recorder makes a big difference. Soundwise, the C100 falls inbetween the 5D and a good external recorder. It's actually quite good for a camera.

I think a lot of people are making the 5D mkiii work as a b-cam because it used to be so much cheaper and the Canon color science made it easy to match cameras. But you'd have to dial down the C100 footage to match the 5D as opposed to the other way around. You couldn't sharpen the 5D footage enough to really match. Especially if you use an external recorder on the C100 which brings the footage in line with the C300. The higher bitrate codec and 422 colorspace gives you a lot more to grade and edit with. Also, the AVCHD implementation on the C100 is better than the 5D and you can see the difference when there's a lot of detail in the image. The C100 resolves much better when the camera moves. The 5D turns a little mushy.

I disagree on some points. The audio doesn't require any syncing when using a wireless pack. as for the sharpness the trick is to disable the stupid picture styles that come on the camera. This way you get a nice grade able and flat image that respond nicely to a minor sharpening in post.

But I will say the c100 is decnt but the price point is too high which is why everyone either goes for the c300 or stay with the mkiii.

Canon JUST introduced a brand-new cinema camera yesterday. I got an e-mail notice about it around 11 PM on my cell...

Canon JUST introduced a brand-new cinema camera yesterday. I got an e-mail notice about it around 11 PM on my cell...

I saw that, and had much drooling. BUT it is more or as expensive as the c500 which makes no sense. My only hope is the c300 mkI prices plummet so I can snap one up.

I saw that, and had much drooling. BUT it is more or as expensive as the c500 which makes no sense. My only hope is the c300 mkI prices plummet so I can snap one up.

I read the e-mail while almost asleep, and then hit Delete...but I thought it said the new cam had in-camera, direct 4:4:2 in 4k, eliminating the need for an external recorder, and was $2995 at intro...not sure on those stats...

I read the e-mail while almost asleep, and then hit Delete...but I thought it said the new cam had in-camera, direct 4:4:2 in 4k, eliminating the need for an external recorder, and was $2995 at intro...not sure on those stats...

Whoops, they released two cams, one was an entry level "look at me i have 4k" camcorder and another was a $16k production quality cam.

Announcement Canon EOS C300 Mark II. Full Coverage and Videos Here.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back