WWII era 4x5 Kodachromes

Awesome pics! So sad that Kodachrome is gone... Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing

Not only are these important fragments of US History, world history but they're also, in my opinion works of art. They're beautiful, simply beautiful.

Looking at them more carefully, they are outstanding images. The lighting in some of them is superb, in particular, #17, the TVA "crane" (I'm pretty suret that's a drag-line) operator and #s 16 and 19 stand out for me, especially given the conditions they were shot under.

The lighting in many of these blows me awaym especially considering the tech that they were working with then. Incredible photographs.

Beautiful pics.

Are they not electronically scanned and possibly tweaked in Photoshop? Or are they original pics?

4x5 Kodachromes have to be digitally dehanced to prevent widespread depression and feelings of inferiority. The real things are far too beautiful.

4x5 Kodachromes have to be digitally dehanced to prevent widespread depression and feelings of inferiority. The real things are far too beautiful.

:lmao: :thumbup:

Those are truly gorgeous. They remind me of the work I did for the military :) Yeah, although I have a hard time believing I did it, I did "propaganda" work for them, lol.

However I don't quite understand this next comment VVVVVVV

The lighting in many of these blows me awaym especially considering the tech that they were working with then. Incredible photographs.

We may have fancier lighting gear today but the light coming out of that gear is still the same. Those are posed shots with all that it means as far as light positioning, balancing, etc.

What is lacking today in photography is the same that is lacking in any other sort of craftmanship: the love of the craft and doing the best that has ever been done. Don't ask me to explain this because I can't except, maybe, for a certain sense of self-satisfaction that shouldn't be.

The first time I remember being aware of it was when I first saw the National Cathedral in DC. While the european cathedrals I know look light and airy, the DC one looked like a big chunk of stone to me although they had imported some of the best craftmen from Europe to build it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back