X-T3 Magenta Cast - Testing

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As some of you saw, I used my new X-T3 to take sale photos of my X-T20 yesterday. I uploaded them after syncing them wirelessly to my phone and making some basic exposure and saturation adjustments (but no white balance adjustments) on my iPhone.

They were shot in jpeg with the velvia film simulation and auto white balance, and had a VERY magenta cast to them. This lead to speculation that there may be a problem with my X-T3 or the camera model in general.

Here is an example of the issue I'm talking about in the sale photos:
Magenta Test by Destin Danser, on Flickr

As promised, I came home today and tested in an attempt to replicate.

For starters, I brought the image into Lightroom and made white balance adjustments (though it's a jpeg, so this isn't ideal) and was able to pretty much correct the cast easily by using the eye dropper tool to set a custom WB as seen here. It's not perfect, but I suspect that with a raw file it could be:

I no longer have the x-t20, so my old Minolta X700 stood in. I went outside and attempted a similar style outdoor product shot with all of the same color settings including velvia and AWB. Exposure settings are different as it's brighter out today. Same lens. Here are the test shots, with no magenta cast present:

With that, I'm going to assume that it was a fluke and that something caused the auto white balance to read the scene wrong. If I start seeing more of this issue I'll revisit it and do further testing.

Edited to add: I reviewed the exif of the first product shot with the magenta cast, and it was shot at iso6400. So it was fairly dark out. I'm almost wondering if there was an artificial light source in the area that affected the image and I didn't notice it. It was at my work: I will revisit this issue at that location at the same time of day and exact same settings just to confirm.

Huh, with such inconsistent pictures, you should probably just scrap the camera. I'll take it off your hands for you.

I've noticed that on my XT2 a few times, where the WB is off. I have no idea why nor worried about it. I see it more when indoors. Will be interesting to see if you can duplicate it or figure out why. I rarely use velvia any more. Pretty much a tweaked chrome is what I use. Second is the provia. I use acros more than anything. You didn't mention what meter mode you were in.

Most reactions

Back