x100 manual focusing?

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've got the rangefinder bug lately and have been thinking about how to save up for a leica m9 + a sumicron 35 or 50. Basically that is gonna cost me close to $10,000, i've thought about selling my d7000 + gear and possibly going the m8 route but i dont think m8 rangefinder will be nearly as good for low light nor will it be as versatile as a true slr. I think i could save up the $10,000 this summer but that's alot of money to put down on a "digital" camera. One of the intriguing aspects of rangefinders for me is the way the manual focusing works, its easy to focus these lenses, like it was with a split screen nikon EM.

What i am wondering is, does the nikon x100 manual focus like a rangefinder? with a square in the middle that you match up? if this is the case than there is a good change the x1pro will also have similar manual focusing abilities and i can possibly get that as a body and a leica lens all for about$3-4K which is a ALOT more reasonable, will probably have a better sensor.

If all else fails, i'll just put money down on a D800(prob wont get it till the new year), + katz eye for d7000 and a fast prime, maybe the 24 or 35 1.4

X100 isn't a rangefinder. (it's also not a Nikon, it's a fujifilm) Neither is the xpro-1. It looks like one, has aperture and shutter speed controls like one, the viewfinder looks like one.. that's pretty much where the similarities end. The manual focus is completely useless. The only use i've found for it is to keep the focus at a particular setting instead of having to refocus every time you point your camera, say when you're zone focusing. There's a MF button on the back of the camera to help you set the manual focus (basically it AFs and stays where you set it). The problem is it's not a mechanical focus ring, it's electronic. If you want to go from one end of focus to the other it takes so many rotations that by the time you get there your shot will most likely be gone..

I love mine as an AF camera, but if you want manual focus, forget it. I also wouldn't want it as my only camera since the AF can be frustrating at times.. If you really want a digital rangefinder, I'd keep saving for an M9, maybe used, and get some voigtlander or Zeiss, or even older screw mount lenses with an adapter to save money. Or pay thousands less and get a film Leica. That's what I did.. My M6 body + Voigtlander 28 + Canon 50mm f/1.5 was under $2500. There is film cost to be considered, but diy developing and scanning saves a lot of cash.

Last edited:
X100 isn't a rangefinder. (it's also not a Nikon, it's a fujifilm) Neither is the xpro-1. It looks like one, has aperture and shutter speed controls like one, the viewfinder looks like one.. that's pretty much where the similarities end. The manual focus is completely useless. The only use i've found for it is to keep the focus at a particular setting instead of having to refocus every time you point your camera, say when you're zone focusing. There's a MF button on the back of the camera to help you set the manual focus (basically it AFs and stays where you set it). The problem is it's not a mechanical focus ring, it's electronic. If you want to go from one end of focus to the other it takes so many rotations that by the time you get there your shot will most likely be gone..

I love mine as an AF camera, but if you want manual focus, forget it. I also wouldn't want it as my only camera since the AF can be frustrating at times.. If you really want a digital rangefinder, I'd keep saving for an M9, maybe used, and get some voigtlander or Zeiss, or even older screw mount lenses with an adapter to save money. Or pay thousands less and get a film Leica. That's what I did.. My M6 body + Voigtlander 28 + Canon 50mm f/1.5 was under $2500. There is film cost to be considered, but diy developing and scanning saves a lot of cash.

That's disappointing, I was hoping it would be better MF. I would like to save up for an m9 but even if i do i don't know if i can bring myself to put down $10,000 for a camera. I am sure its a great camera and worth the money, but for that price i can pick up a bigger motocycle and a full set of out-door gear, that would be better for my photography than a used leica set up.

I Would like to go for the film, but to be honest digital has surpassed film for sure, iso 6400 on the d7000 looks like 800-1600 on film. I did go through a film phase and it was fun, i still pick up an old film slr, its fun but i dont see myself shooting film exclusively. I think i will be going for a nikon d800 plus 35 1.4 + 50 1.4.

Thanks for letting me know how the manual focusing was, if the fujifilm x1pro was a rangefinder it would of been a GREAT camera at a GREAT price.

Most reactions

Back