Xmas light pictures...Need some help with setting for a F717

ArHuntr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I have a Sony F717 that I recently purchased and I wanting to do some xmas light photos in the near future. I was just wondering if someone with a little more experience would care help me in what settings I will need to use to bring out the lights in the photos without the picture being TOO dark.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Nobody ever shot x-mas pics?
Just thought I'd ask before I went out and spent hours experimenting. :wink:

unfortunately I don't recall a way to get bright lights and a not so bright house. What is basically boils down to is have a house with the right amount of lights to get the desired effect.

Also be sure to close down the aperature so you don't get huge star effects from the bulbs.

bogleric said:
Also be sure to close down the aperature so you don't get huge star effects from the bulbs.
On the right track, but stopping down the aperture is what causes the star effect. Wide open yields circular light sources.

ArHuntr said:
Hi, I have a Sony F717 that I recently purchased and I wanting to do some xmas light photos in the near future. I was just wondering if someone with a little more experience would care help me in what settings I will need to use to bring out the lights in the photos without the picture being TOO dark.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

What I would do *and will do* is put the camera on a tripod, and expose the picture as long as I can, with my digital camera thats only 3 seconds, but that probably will be long enough to get enough of the lights of the house. And with no flash. :0) Then again fi the house is to dark I may use flash and still expose the picture as long as I can.

Whats the most you can expose a picture for? :0)

What I would do *and will do* is put the camera on a tripod, and expose the picture as long as I can, with my digital camera thats only 3 seconds, but that probably will be long enough to get enough of the lights of the house. And with no flash. :0) Then again fi the house is to dark I may use flash and still expose the picture as long as I can.

Actually I think I'd do sort of hte opposite. i'd say meter the house to see what exposure would be right for it. Then underexpose 3-5 stops. This will make the house darker, but not completely dark and the lights should look good too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back