XSi: What else do I need?

Hi,
I'm really enjoying this forum and learning so much. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

After using a Canon ELPH for the last several years, I recently ordered my first DSLR-- a Canon Xsi/450D with the 18-55 IS kit lens plus a 55-250 IS lens, along with an 8GB SDHC memory card. In addition to that, what would you recommend I get right off the bat to complement/protect my investment?
I'd get a good tripod and a remote shutter switch as soon as you can.

I still say get the UV filter. Not to protect from UV light, but just to have another sheet of glass between the elements and the lens.

A possible reduction in IQ is worth the extra protection. And in certain times where it isn't, screw it off... Its only like 15 bucks for one usually.

IMO A battery grip was a God send. It made my camera fit my hands! But really the biggest reason I like it is because it has the ability to take 6 AA batteries if need be. When I a shooting a wedding or whatever it is nice to know that no matter what I have power if my batteries fail.

$15? I've only paid at least $40 for them. o_O

Sorry, but I don't have that kind of cash. UV filters can be found for cheaper than that, and I don't have the kind of dough to spend 40 on something that really doesn't do as much as it used to. I wish I could, but I can barely scratch together enough for a new DSLR, so throwing down 40 bucks for a UV filter isn't in the cards. I'm sure you do get what you pay for when you go with a super-high-quality Tiffen or Hoya (what are some good filter brands?)

Last edited:
Mine are Kenko, but I think you misunderstood my meaning. It wasn't to say that you should be spending more. It was more of a "wha? I haven't seen them so cheap". Then again, I do nearly all my camera shopping exclusively at the local Lens & Shutter, as I've established a good rapport with some of the staff there.

Mine are Kenko, but I think you misunderstood my meaning. It wasn't to say that you should be spending more. It was more of a "wha? I haven't seen them so cheap". Then again, I do nearly all my camera shopping exclusively at the local Lens & Shutter, as I've established a good rapport with some of the staff there.

I've seen UV filters a Best Buy (even I wouldn't buy them, though) for 8 bucks. And at my local camera store, they have some for about 15. They're not that good, but when it comes to a UV filter I don't really care. Now a polarizer or a b&w filter I would be a lot more picky on, and probably go with a better brand.

http://www.lawrencephotovideo.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog[product_guids][0]=c9713c60-6d20-455f-8029-acfeb39a3b98

I think Promaster is a rebranded something another.

Wow, now I'm a little hesitant to say that I only paid $2.00 for my UV filters. I have had them on my lenses since I started shooting and they seem pretty solid, quality-wise. I only use them so I don't scratch the actual lens glass.

I don't know what I would do if my kit lens and 50mm were ever damaged :lmao:

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far. I think it makes most sense to start with a camera bag, so that I can be sure to safely have my camera with me more times than not. That'll give me the best opportunity to gain experience and learn how to what I have. In the process, I assume it'll become clear to me what my needs are for gear. In addition to the camera bag, I think I'll go ahead (after payday!) and get a circular polarizer (is HOYA HMC or Pro-1 OK?) and lens hoods.

With that said-- what do you suggest for a camera bag that would suit my needs with given equipment, that would allow for a tripod and perhaps an extra lens or two in the next year?

Which Circular Polarizer?

I prefer to spend more upfront for quality rather than go cheap and end up spending the money later anyway. It may just take me a month or so longer to get what I need.

Thanks again!

Make sure that your bag is comfortable. I thought a backpack would be a PITA to take on and off and got a shoulder bag instead. It is so HEAVY (some people call me tiny so you can imagine!) so I make my dh carry it for me ;)

Wow, now I'm a little hesitant to say that I only paid $2.00 for my UV filters. I have had them on my lenses since I started shooting and they seem pretty solid, quality-wise. I only use them so I don't scratch the actual lens glass.

I don't know what I would do if my kit lens and 50mm were ever damaged :lmao:

You'd probably be a little miffed. I was when my 50mm...met an unfortunate set of circumstances involving concrete that was...not necessarily my fault...

And then rent a replacement. >.< (My lens is currently getting drunk with it's Canon buddies in Toronto. The reaction of the guy at the local camera store: "Yeah, that's why Canon's never focus properly." :lol: — He's a Nikon shooter. We have the Canon v. Nikon banter for kicks.)

I'm done with UV filters though. I just can't see a benefit to IQ, and the front element of a lens is on of the cheapest things to fix anyway.

Ditto on the comfy bag. You don't want to be running (and I do mean running) around trying to get a shot with something slung over one shoulder flapping about, or causing tension in your back. Not fun.

If you have more money to blow, I would puchase the battery grip. It's great to be able to hold the camera in portrait position and the extra battery life makes it worth every penny (I hate being low on battery). This suggestion means you would also have to purchase another Li-ion battery (or you can use 6AA's).

Hey, I'm a new Xsi owner too, and new to "real" photography (point and shooted my whole life). What is a battery grip and what is it good for? Thanks!

I would get a tripod.

After thinking this through during my Saturday morning run, here's where I currently am in the decision process:

1. Camera bag (Kata 3N1-20)-- It'll allow me to safely bring my camera along to give me more opportunities to use it. It gives me a little more than I currently need, plus is capable of carrying small tripods.

2. Polarizer (multi-coated) / Lens hoods-- I like the effects they have on outdoor shots. I plan to do most of my shooting outdoors, since my son is away half the week and I expect my girlfriend to get tired of her papparazzi boyfriend in a matter of days (I don't do anything half-way). Of course, you guys have talked me into the benefits of lens hoods vs. UV filters for protection. Thanks to Bitter Jeweler and everyone else for help on that.

3. Possibly sell the 18-55 IS kit lens brand-new, pick up the nifty-fifty (50mm f/1.8) and save for a nicer wide-angle like a Tamaron 17-50mm f/2.8. I expect to receive a lot of feedback on this decision and welcome it.

4. Tripod-- This has been suggested by many as the first thing to get. I already have a small tripod I use for my P&S that will get me by for a while.

I'm still wide-open to your suggestions and appreciate all I've received so far. Excuse me for analyzing this to death. I'm naturally a gear-head and enjoy figuring out my gear as much as using it. It's like that for all my hobbies whether it is biking, running, guitar, whatever. Gear research/analysis is a hobby in itself for me. I love it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back