xt vs 50d

Hardrock

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got a canon 50mm 1.4 lens this weekend and the lens is incredible. Im using a canon xt body, I have really been wanting to get the 50d body but I dont want to get it if the quality of the pictures isn't greatly improved. I know the lens moslty determines the quality of the picture , but what do you guys think is it worth the upgrade, will I be able to see the diference in the pictures?

I just got a canon 50mm 1.4 lens this weekend and the lens is incredible. Im using a canon xt body, I have really been wanting to get the 50d body but I dont want to get it if the quality of the pictures isn't greatly improved. I know the lens moslty determines the quality of the picture , but what do you guys think is it worth the upgrade, will I be able to see the diference in the pictures?

If you are upgrading solely for the quality of your images then don't. Spend that money on even more nice glass. Glass is the major contributing factor to how nice the image quality will be a lot more so than the body you shoot with.

The difference in image quality only becomes more apparent when you start to blow up the images really big. The 50D images would retain more image detail before it starts to get pixelated, but at regular viewing size (like on your computer screen) there won't be much of a difference.

The differences between the Rebel series DSLRs and mid-level DSLRs (like the 50D) are the physical size of the bodies, the construction of the bodies and the shooting controls. So while the image quality is very close, there is a big difference in the shooting experience between the two body types.

I've been shooting with a XTi for the past year and a half and just recently upgraded to a 40D. The image quality is very similar (both use 10mp sensors) but shooting with the 40D is just so much nicer. The XTi feels and sounds like a toy compared to the 40D...the 40D just feels more like a real camera.

Thinks guys for the advice I guess I just didn't want to be disapointed and wish I would have bought another lens instead!

The 50D is going to be a pretty substantial upgrade to the XT but if you only have a 50/1.4 you might look into more lenses first.

I upgraded to the 50D & LOVE IT! Like Samanax said, shooting with my XTi feels very light. Having said that, if you are shooting mostly in man. vs. auto (& you are successful at it) you may want to save for a 5D & skip the 50D. However, if you're doing photography more as a hobby then I would go for the lens.

Just a note ... there are strong rumors that the 60D will be released in August. You might want to wait.

Ian

Just a note ... there are strong rumors that the 60D will be released in August. You might want to wait.
I heard it was going to take SD memory instead of CF cards. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to wait for the 60D.

A lot of people told me to get the 40D instead of the 50D too. The 40D is supposed to have better high ISO IQ and wider dynamic range than the 50D. Something about packing more megapixels onto the same sized sensor.

If I had the money I would have gotten the 5D or 5D Mk II instead of the 40D.

Most reactions

Back