XTI Kit which one?

MRIslandStyle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone... decided to search for a photography forum to get some insight on what I should do.

I'm looking at getting a canon rebel xti sometime later this month. I've seen the quality that the camera produces without filters or expensive lenses.

With that said I've been looking a lot at canon's website and when you don't know anything about lenses it's pretty overwhelming on how many options there are.

So there are a few different kits that I'm looking at but I don't know which one is worth it or if it's even neccessary.

Here's a few of the kits and the prices...

For $1,158 the kit includes
Xti, 18-55 mm Lens, 28-105mm F/3.5-4.5 II USM, 75-300MM, 0.5x Wide angle, attachable flash, aluminum hard carrying case, soft carrying case, table tripod and 52" tripod, lens cleaning kit, 4gb flash card, 3 piece lens filter kit

For $1,178 the kit includes all the same accessories but instead of the above mentioned lenses, the lenses in this kit are:
28-135m image stabilizing lens, 75/300mm lense, 0.45x wide angle

For $1,768 the kit again includes the accessories with the following lenses
18-55mm, 28-135mm Image stabilizing USM, 70-300mm Image Stabilizing USM, .45x wide angle

There are many other combinations of IS lenses and Regular lenses the price ranges are between my 1st and 3rd example... so my question is... which one?? It's like a buffet and you're not that hungry for everything so what's worth it?

What I plan to do with this camera would mostly be family pictures and pictures of my car and other cars at racing events and car shows. I can also see me doing some wildlife and other various pictures all as a hobby. Basically a hobbyist with professional quality. I also see kits around the same price range with one wide angle lens and one image stabilizing "L" lense.

So given what I plan on doing is it worth it to invest in the IS lenses and then possibly get an IS "L" lense down the road. or am I better off with saving 500 dollars or so by getting the standard lenses. Quality is more important than price to me... So if I would see noticeably better quality with the IS lenses than that's what I would rather go with. But will it be noticeable to justify the $600 price difference. Any and all input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hmmm, I think that you should try to avoid the kit lens (18-55), I hear that it is a poor lens, and maybe look at getting only the body, and a good lens that will do sort of an all-round job. Or, you can get the 50 1.8, good for portraits, and try looking into a fast lens. Just my opinion, make sure to ask around other members with more experience with these lenses. You may want to ditch the wide converter and filters, which may be poor quality. And be careful about the flash. Where are you buying the kit from?

if your looking for a really good quality kit, it would most likely be best to buy everything seperate, many things in the kit, ie flash, filters etc, will be of poor quality. if your getting it strictly for the camera and lenses really id say go for the one wide angle and one IS L lens, depending on the focal length. You really cant go wrong with L glass.

Most reactions

Back