Xti To 7d?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inst!nct

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Great idea or no, i have about $1,350 to spend, and thinking of getting a new body; the 7d. I have a lens I'm comfortable with and happy with atm (the 70-300 canon IS), Am I making a mistake by buying a body and not a lens? I really prefer a body but dont want to make a mistake.

Great idea or no, i have about $1,350 to spend, and thinking of getting a new body; the 7d. I have a lens I'm comfortable with and happy with atm (the 70-300 canon IS), Am I making a mistake by buying a body and not a lens? I really prefer a body but dont want to make a mistake.
I also have the XTi and want to upgrade the the 7D, although now I finally got some decent glass! 70-200 and my 50mm, my 75-300 sucks but I have heard some good things from the 70-300 IS (maybe thats why canon made it a L lens and made it even better)

It really depends what you want to be shooting, 10MP is enough in most cases. The lens is really slow already, so it wont really help with the 7D's iso performance. I got a nice combo, 2.8 lens with the 7D's iso performance (much better than xti) for sports like high school football games at night.

3 FPS is pretty slow-ish for sport shooting, 8 FPS is pretty nice I must say. The AF system is pretty awesome too.

What do you mostly shoot?

Um I mostly shoot portraits/events, never any need for faster frames per second.. I started another thread, didn't think what I had to ask fit here, its in the beyond the basics section.

Mods you mind closing/locking this thread? thanks, sorry for creating 2 threads :hug::

The big question you need to ask yourself is: Do I need to shoot at 1600, 3200, or 6400 ISO comfortably? Do I need to shoot at 8 frames per second? And do I want wireless flash control? If you answer "no" to all of these, you probably don't need a 7D. The XTi is a fine camera in ideal conditions like well lit studio portraits. But for events and stuff (especially dimly lit areas), the high ISO capabilities of the 7D paired with some fast lenses will make for some great shots.

That being said, you may get just as good results from a 60D; preliminary ISO tests I've seen put it as near to the 7D as makes no difference: Canon EOS 60D Digital SLR Camera Review It doesnt have the fancy upgraded AF or quick 8fps burst, but for your needs, it looks like it would suit the bill as well as a 7D would, but several hundred dollars cheaper. Put that money towards a 50 1.4 or 85 1.8, both of which would be excellent on a 60D (or even your XTi) for portraits and events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back