Yahoo may sell Flickr

I'm surprised Yahoo still exists in the first place.

Flickr sucks now since whatshername took over...good riddance if it goes...

Hmmmm, maybe it would be cool if I had to start all over again. I have learned about 3 things since the first photo I posted. :)

I'm also lucky I don't know what it was before it sucked. No reference.

Yahoo May Sell Flickr and Its Core Internet Business

Yahoo is reportedly considering a sale of its struggling core Internet business, in which the photo sharing service Flickr — acquired back in 2005 for around $25 million — is just a small piece of the pie.

Hmmm .... ok so they are not considering selling Flickr on its own.

I dunno, I like Flickr. There aren't that many ads if you have an account, and I just have a free account. Lots of storage, good discovery tools (Explore and all those, which is something Facebook cannot replace), and decent GUI. Maybe I just don't know it before it changed, but what free site hasn't added ads? I've been a member there since 2009-ish, and don't have a problem with where it's at.

I dunno, I like Flickr. There aren't that many ads if you have an account, and I just have a free account. Lots of storage, good discovery tools (Explore and all those, which is something Facebook cannot replace), and decent GUI. Maybe I just don't know it before it changed, but what free site hasn't added ads? I've been a member there since 2009-ish, and don't have a problem with where it's at.
The problem is Yahoo isn't making a profit from Flickr as a product.
So it's sucking revenue from it's ever decreasing revenue stream.
ie, why keep a revenue losing business. So Yahoo is looking at off-loading all of it's losing products.

Makes sense right?
try to sell it to someone that would still probably lose money even at a drastic reduced cost.
The problem is, it's value is based on it's 3-5 year revenue or more specifically profit, or theoretical profit.

The problem is Yahoo isn't making a profit from Flickr as a product.
So it's sucking revenue from it's ever decreasing revenue stream.
ie, why keep a revenue losing business. So Yahoo is looking at off-loading all of it's losing products.

Makes sense right?
try to sell it to someone that would still probably lose money even at a drastic reduced cost.
The problem is, it's value is based on it's 3-5 year revenue or more specifically profit, or theoretical profit.

Oh I mean I get the business side of things, I guess I was just writing a reply based on those that voiced a dislike for Flickr.

Flickr could use some further improvement, but with things like they are at Yahoo they may not do anything and it could just disappear.

I still use it with the pro account and it does not show any ads to people that browse my photos. It does give a pop-up bugging for them to sign-up or sign-in, and it's a bit insistent if you don't sign-up or sign-in. But overall the interface is still pretty clean, focusing on the pictures.

I have used it to show people a slide show of an event. Took pictures at a friends graduation and then used the slide show in Flickr when we met up at a coffee shop about a week later to see the shots on their tablet.

I have it so it automatically uploads the jpg files in my Developed folder and those are usually in folders by event so those become new albums on Flickr. Right now I have over 8,000 photos that are private and just over 1400 that are public. The private photos are often in Albums where I send the link to the person and they can then see those.

Flickr could use some further improvement, but with things like they are at Yahoo they may not do anything and it could just disappear.

I still use it with the pro account and it does not show any ads to people that browse my photos. It does give a pop-up bugging for them to sign-up or sign-in, and it's a bit insistent if you don't sign-up or sign-in. But overall the interface is still pretty clean, focusing on the pictures.

I have used it to show people a slide show of an event. Took pictures at a friends graduation and then used the slide show in Flickr when we met up at a coffee shop about a week later to see the shots on their tablet.

I have it so it automatically uploads the jpg files in my Developed folder and those are usually in folders by event so those become new albums on Flickr. Right now I have over 8,000 photos that are private and just over 1400 that are public. The private photos are often in Albums where I send the link to the person and they can then see those.

I agree. It works for me. Not sure what others expect or want from it.

Most reactions

Back