YAKRT (Yet Another Ken Rockwell Thread) ... is he just a cranky old technophobe?

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
was out shooting in Death Valley and the Eastern Sierra this past week.

For laughs, I brought a Leica system. I didn't bring any SLRs, film or digital. Like most serious shooters, I'm so done with digital.

What the heck is his problem? Did the D3X send him over the edge or what? Contrary to what he seems to be utterly convinced of, it is possible to be a geek and an artist at the same time.

All of his updates lately seem to be "z0mg! fi1m r0x0rz! d1g1t@l sux0rz!"

The Leica lenses are much better than the Nikon SLR lenses if you're counting pixels. With the Nikon lenses, you want to stop down a stop or two for the best results at 24MP, but with the Leica lenses, you can shoot wide open and get great results. This means I didn't need to bother with a tripod, either.

Our own Ken Rockwell was right after all!

If you scroll down on his page, you'll see that he calls 15 January, 2009, both Wednesday and Thursday... He was clearly delusional.

I tried, but failed, to capture this in a Photoshop document.. If anyone could do this for me it would be appreciated.. I think he may have been on glue that day.

I like OneExposure, I am a member there, and have several friends that are very active there.

Look, I don't know much about Ken Rockwell, but a general comment to the crowd: stop looking at gear sites. If you need a particular piece of gear, do some research, buy it, and get back to shooting. Find sites that help you creatively (like 1x.com).

There are plenty of people who say digital sucks and plenty who say film sucks. I've said both at different times of my life. :) He's digging his old cameras. I can understand that. I'd love to be using my old cameras... except that then I'd have to use film, and film sucks. ;)

I never did quite understand people's problem with KR. Sure, he seems a bit full of himself, and you have to take some of the things he says with a grain of salt, but his site has a LOT of good info on it about camera bodies and lenses, ISO comparison tests, etc. Is he the Jesus of photography? Of course not! Does he have some great info on his site, especially for those newer to photography? Hell yes! (Get it? :D)

There are plenty of people who say digital sucks and plenty who say film sucks. I've said both at different times of my life. :) He's digging his old cameras. I can understand that. I'd love to be using my old cameras... except that then I'd have to use film, and film sucks. ;)

Oh, I don't know, I just burned a roll of Efke 25 (thanks Jeff!!) in my old 8008 and had a blast. It's amazing how much I missed the hum of the film winder and the sense of closure when the film is all used and rewound.

Now if I can just get some vitamin C ground for some caffenol plus we'll see how rusty I am w/ b&w. ;)

... a general comment to the crowd: stop looking at gear sites. If you need a particular piece of gear, do some research, buy it, and get back to shooting. Find sites that help you creatively (like 1x.com).

You are my new hero.

I never did quite understand people's problem with KR. Sure, he seems a bit full of himself
A bit! more like alot.
The only gear site I find my self looking at is the one for lenses for research. Like today I saw a Nikkor 105 for $80 at a Pawnshop that lists on Craigs. They had a picture of it and 3 other lenses. The one lens pictured was a 105 DC so I double checked to see how that lens performed with the digitals. Got to the shop and, it wasnt that one. It was a manual 105 Nikkor-T stubby. This made me cry.

Most reactions

Back