Yashica Redux

cgw

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
This mysterious site and video hints that the now Chinese-owned brand might have more than smartphone lenses up its sleeve. Electro 35? 124G TLR? Anyone's guess if it's not a hoax. Stay tuned:

www.yashica.com/

:allteeth: Nicely done video. Someone over there still to member The Blair Witch Project. I don't think it will go any further, than cheap clip on lenses with a big name for the suckers. CHines Seagull .is allegedly copy of Yashica.

Something odd I noticed. Look at the camera in these two stills from the Yashica video:

https://photorumors.com/wp-content/...a-camera-to-launch-on-Kickstarter-rumors2.jpg

https://photorumors.com/wp-content/...a-camera-to-launch-on-Kickstarter-rumors1.jpg

The camera she is holding looks a lot like an Electro 35 but there are some oddities.

In the first photo notice the writing along the lower right side of the camera. I could be wrong but I don't know of any Electro 35 model that has that much writing there. Usually there are just 2 or 3 letters.

In the 2nd photo the camera is closer but her finger is conveniently covering that part of it.

Also, in both photos there appears to be a rectangular object on the top deck of the camera (near what appears to be the rewind knob) that the classic Electro cameras don't have. And, of course, if that is a rewind knob then it must be a film camera and not a retro design digital.

So, these clues suggest a resurrected Electro 35 film camera. That would certainly fulfill the "unexpected" comment in the video.

Or, maybe it is just a retro-look digital and the "rewind knob" is really a control dial.

Or, maybe I'm just hallucinating ... :)

Last edited:
All eerily reminiscent of the Nikon's teaser videos for the dud Df.

It mentions kickstarter. It could just be a mock up. For something they want to try a kickstarter for??
The lens has no markings on the barrel! Making me think it's a mockup.

Well...Not film after all.

Expect the Unexpected. digiFilm™ Camera by YASHICA

Cute little APS-size modules that set ISO and store an SD card. No LCD. Electro-35 styling. Better be cheap.

The cheapest package for backing is $124 American (or $155 Canadian) and it gets you the camera, a post card, and...a roll of digifilm?

Yeah, I'm not sure I quite understand what they're going for here.

...Okay, did more reading...it's digital, pictures are stored on an SD card, and the canisters of "digifilm" are essentially presets or program modes. So when you want to go from 6x6 or to black and white, you change the "film", it seems. And it makes you advance the frames manually. No screen so no chimping.

So you can pretend you're shooting film without shooting film.

Um. Okay.

Interesting ... so instead of learning how to adjust your ISO/Shutter Speed/Aperture for low light, you toss in a low light digifilm can ... for B&W a different digifilm can ... et cetera all the digifilm cans have different instruction ... then if you want low light-B&W-square format ... you gotta have a ton of digifilm cans. Interesting concept ... dunno if there is a market.

Right up there for weirdness with the Epson R-D1.

I don't get it. Spend 120 to cock a lever? Trump's gotta be behind this.

Fixed f/2.8 aperture and oh boy! five shutter speeds! I assume the rewind knob opens the back. And what pray tell does the film advance lever actually do? Ridiculous hipster fashion accessory.

Joe

I don't get it. Spend 120 to cock a lever? Trump's gotta be behind this.

Now there JC, I didn't see any indication it's a criminal enterprise, just stupid.

Joe

This product is beyond stupid.

PS - Well, the kickstarter for this product has already gotten more than 3X its goal in the first day.

I wonder if the people buying into this understand what they're buying? It has the word "film" in it and the number "35" so I wonder if they think they are buying some sort of actual film camera?

I think I'll start my own kickstarter: a film advance lever that can be attached to any digital camera with instructions to push it between each photo. I'll call it the Film-O-Digi-Lever.

Last edited:
I feel like a lot of people are missing the point of the camera. Its a fun toy, not a serious work horse.

I'd love to get one and the price is just right as well.

Most reactions

Back