Yasuko: The Foreshore (c&c is appreciated)

tyler_h

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few shots from a recent(ish) shoot. First time I've had a flash and reflector to play with, and only the third portrait shoot ever. Also first time in front of the camera for the model too.

Mainly looking for comments on lighting. Not completely happy with composition but not too worried about that in this shoot. That being said, any comments are welcome.

2011_07_04_7071 by tyler_s_hamilton, on Flickr

2011_07_04_7110 by tyler_s_hamilton, on Flickr

2011_07_04_7087 by tyler_s_hamilton, on Flickr

Editing (not real good):
Brightness/Contrast for eyes
Dodge and Burn; not easy to have good control with a mouse
Hue/Saturation overall adjustments

I won't critique these photos, I think you did pretty well for your third shoot.

I will offer you some advice, though. When you are using a reflector, move it around and learn to see what it is doing. Look at the shadows. Look at the way it is changing the mood of the shot. Hard shadows beneath the chin are rarely flattering. Use your reflector and your lighting to control that. If you position your subject at the edge of some shade, it gives you a lot more options. Try to avoid taking photos in direct sunlight. As you have shown, a reflector can help in those circumstances, but it is rarely ideal.

Depending on the reflector you have, a lot of them serve multiple purposes and the reflective material can be taken off and the panel can also be used as a diffuser. In direct sunlight, I would probably use the diffuser before I would use the reflective part.

I won't critique these photos, I think you did pretty well for your third shoot.

I will offer you some advice, though. When you are using a reflector, move it around and learn to see what it is doing. Look at the shadows. Look at the way it is changing the mood of the shot. Hard shadows beneath the chin are rarely flattering. Use your reflector and your lighting to control that. If you position your subject at the edge of some shade, it gives you a lot more options. Try to avoid taking photos in direct sunlight. As you have shown, a reflector can help in those circumstances, but it is rarely ideal.

Depending on the reflector you have, a lot of them serve multiple purposes and the reflective material can be taken off and the panel can also be used as a diffuser. In direct sunlight, I would probably use the diffuser before I would use the reflective part.

Thanks for posting. I know I have a lot to learn so any advise is welcome.

The first one is actually with a diffuser. The 'reflector' I have is a 5-in-1; gold, soft gold, silver, white, and diffuser.
The second is in shade, silver reflector (just playing around with each a little). Biggest problem I had was trying to handle camera and reflector at the same time (no assistant). I can certainly see how an extra set of hands would be useful.
The third is 'direct sun' - *just* behind the cloud (they ran out; sky cleared up lol).

Most reactions

Back