YAY! A BALL! BALL BALL BALL!

I like the shot just the way it is...the angle really works for me because it gives the effect of motion.

Nice DOF too.

As an exercise in composition it needs more work.
There are other things you need to think about than just taking it at a sloping angle.
The angle of the slope is from left to right. This gives a feeling of movement out of frame towards the right.
Unfortunately the ball is positioned slightly off-centre towards the left. Doing this gives a feeling of movement away from the right.
The two movement elements work against each other and pretty much cancel out. This leaves you with the ball just sitting there defying gravity, which is odd.
It would have been better to have positioned the ball more towards the right of frame. This would have given the sense that it was moving out of shot right, the same as the slope, and this would have given a sense of movement.
Even better would have been to position the ball much nearer to the left edge.
Off-centre to the left gives a feeling of movement away from the right.
But putting the ball right near the left edge, combined with the slope, would give the sense that the ball is moving into frame and so it would feel as if the ball was about to roll down the hill.
Shooting landscape would have made the effect even more pronounced.
Positioning within a frame is quite a subtle thing and doesn't always work the way you think. It is even more important to get the position right when your composition is 'minimalist'. Try doing as I suggest and see what happens.

And get rid of that sign! It works against the image. You must always pay attention to everything that is going on in shot - even if it's out of focus.

Most reactions

Back