Yeah, another boring photo of the Moon

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took whilst it was between clouds, and I was playing taking night time 30 second exposures of moving clouds at night with my other camera.
Hope you like it.

Nikon d600, 2,000 mm (no cropping), 1/125 shutter, ISO 640, f/8ish
My actual first real tests using the FF camera

$DSC_3125b.jpg

2000mm - holy crap! Love the crater detail. This is all I could manage of the 'Supermoon' the other night with my piffling 300mm:

$D7K_5216.jpg

At 2,000mm the moon is just within the frame for a few seconds before it starts getting chopped.
I have to keep adjusting as it moves quickly.

With my FF I'll be pushing up the ISO to increase the Shutter as I still get motion blur when you really zoom in.
Also, with the manual focus my eyes lately have deteriorated a bit more than last year so it's a pain focusing. Plus, a little touch and everything bounces around.

remote mirror lockup, wait 5 seconds, then shoot.

The moon was pretty good on my 900mm and crop camera too. But I sold the 900 for the 2000 a few years ago - meade telescope.

The other night for the supermoon it was all cloudy here :(

Which 2000mm? Don't you just focus it to infinity and lock it there?

Which 2000mm? Don't you just focus it to infinity and lock it there?
This isn't a regular zoom lens. It's a catadioptric lens ( telescope) - mirror lens. like the Nikon Reflex 500mm and 1,000mm lenses
no infinity because, well, there's other things farther away to focus on.

If I recall, even when I had my Reflex 500mm, you still had to focus it, no infinity setting.

Took whilst it was between clouds, and I was playing taking night time 30 second exposures of moving clouds at night with my other camera.
Hope you like it.

Nikon d600, 2,000 mm (no cropping), 1/125 shutter, ISO 640, f/8ish
My actual first real tests using the FF camera

View attachment 82033

Oh, yawnnnnnnnnn. Yeah, but it's a really good photo. I clicked on it to see the full size and was shocked when it zoomed in. WOW!

Before I pull out 'le old telescope, I check the moon with my binoculars. I check for a couple things, such as the Sea of Nectar - NE corner of it is alot of 3D detail. If I can't see that detail then there's too much thin clouds or other stuff clouding the shot. So last night I could see it really well even between the clouds, so I took a few shots before total cloud cover came. Of course, at 4am it was clear as a bell as I looked out while laying in bed. But, I just rolled over and went back to sleep.

Sea of Nectar crop
$SeaOfNectar.jpg

Most reactions

Back