Years of experience does not matter all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been shooting for only 6 months. I have used photoshop for a few years. So yeah I admit I am still green. So recently I agreed to do a friend of a friend's wedding. I will be the 2nd photographer. I am not sure if the other photog is getting paid or not and I dont care. I am doing it for free for my portfolio. Recently we just did their engagement photos and I finally met the other photographer. She rubbed me the wrong way when I met her. This is not the exact words but this is pretty much what she said:
You just do your thing and I do mine. We wont step on each other's toe. I've done this for 20 years and I used to do what you do. Tag along other photographer and be 2nd photographer. That's how everyone starts.

All I said was.. sure (thinking in my head.. was that necessary??)

My first impression of her:
1. 20 years of experience and you didnt bring an external flash?
2. You did not mount your lens hood correctly (she was using a large zoom range and it could go pretty wide.. 18mm-100+mm? Not sure). She had the long curved side on the side of the frame (landscape)

Then in the middle of photoshoot she said something really stupid. She said that my flash is messing up her focus. ??

But anyway.. the couple sent me the photos by the other photographer. They were horrible! I am not saying my photos are fantastic. I am sure it has a lot of flaws. But her photos are no where close to mine. Here are the series I did. I cant post her photos because she didnt create a gallery on the web. I dont think I am allowed to post someone else's work. Here is mine:
Tonya & Chris

Hey, your gas pedal is messing up my car's shifting! Hey, your sandwich is messing up my corn on the cob! Hey, your typing is messing up my handwriting! Hey, your sunglasses are messing up my contract lenses!

Derrel is on crack again.

Hey, your gas pedal is messing up my car's shifting! Hey, your sandwich is messing up my corn on the cob! Hey, your typing is messing up my handwriting! Hey, your sunglasses are messing up my contract lenses!

Hey, your distracting backgrounds are messing up your pictures!

Lol well I checked out yours and you have some pretty good shots. Good luck with the wedding. I mean that. And if all else fails I could get you some joy juice to slip in the other photogs coffee. Just saying. :sexywink:

That is flippin ridiculous! 20 years of experience and no external flash? doesnt matter what the weather is you need one for a wedding!
What a ****! I can't believe somebody would say that regardless of status, experience, or anything. That is so rude!

There's my 2 cents really I think that's very arrogant.

Didn't know Tw@t was a * .. Sorry my apologies if I offended anybody.

i too thought we had been down this trail.

you may have seen her images, but since we can't it becomes a mute point

Considering how different wedding photographers offer a different package to the bride/groom and also a different product I am sure there are many who work within limits (eg only natural light) and produce fantastic results. It's not necessarily about being and having to take a shot in every possible lighting condition, but more being able to produce a product that your clients want and pay for. If you find you don't need a flash for your method of work and for your clients to be pleased then you don't necessarily need it

When is it OK to post someone elses work? The couple gave me the other photog's CD. I really want to post it.

When is it OK to post someone elses work? The couple gave me the other photog's CD. I really want to post it.

Nope this isn't a case where you can post it because you would have to host those photos online yourself to show them here and I'm pretty sure you don't have rights to publish them online.

Furthermore I would consider it in very bad taste to do so even if it were legal since it would be more like a witchhunt than anything constructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back