Yellow on Drift Wood

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
One last photo for the fabulous members of this forum to critic! I was so excited about this photo when I realized i captured a bee in one of the flowers! :) Please check it out and help me learn how to make it better! Also how can i get rid of those white dots?

yellowOnDriftWood.jpg

This is a mildly interesting snap shot as opposed to a well composed photo. The big problem is that you need to get much, much, closer. One or a small number of flowers should totally fill the screen with yellow.

The flower with the bee for example should have totally filled the screen for an interesting shot but extremely sharp focus is also necessary.

skieur

This is a mildly interesting snap shot as opposed to a well composed photo. The big problem is that you need to get much, much, closer. One or a small number of flowers should totally fill the screen with yellow.

The flower with the bee for example should have totally filled the screen for an interesting shot but extremely sharp focus is also necessary.

skieur

Thank you.

skieur

I have to disagree - i love this shot. Its beautiful and the yellows are vibrant. I like the lighting too. Its seems to be a very hopeful picture.:thumbup:

I would make a few changes though. Id adjust the DOF slightly so the bee was more in focus and also get rid of that light spot above the leaf on the left.

IMG_7817-1.jpg

woah! your version is much better, can u tell me the exact steps you did to do that? I love how the bee is more in focus.

The light was moved using the patch option and i focused the bee more by using an installed action that allows me to tweak the image at different stages. Nothing flashy :)

its a bit too overdone but you get the drift :)

Well, Kanikula, as an enthusiast you can naturally like whatever you wish, but if you want to progress in flower photography at either the amateur competition level or the professional level, you need to be aware of what kind of flower shots are the "professional norm" and it is definitely not snapshots with a lot of dead space around flowers taken at a distance.

Just telling it like it is. :wink:

skieur

Im not doing any competitions, i'm trying to be an artist. As an artist, ied rather not follow the "norm", rather try new things to create interestign images. Maybe i didn't succeed this time. I appreciate your comments skuier.

Kanikula's version is awesome!
Now you have a great shot :)

Im not doing any competitions, i'm trying to be an artist. As an artist, ied rather not follow the "norm", rather try new things to create interestign images. Maybe i didn't succeed this time. I appreciate your comments skuier.

Well, the competitions are based on composition (art) and technical excellence(photographic skills), so if one can't meet the criteria then the photographer is no artist. In pro photography what sells is way above the snapshot level if you are selling to magazines or organizations. By "norm", I meant a higher level as the "basic" standard for even being taken seriously and one needs to reach this norm to even attempt to rise above it.

There are no instant self-taught photographers. It takes plenty of learning in the area of technique and composition. I don't think you have even studied either area seriously yet and it shows in your work. Start looking more closely at the work of others and what work is truly accepted by all as excellent quality. Experimental snapshots do not make interesting images and never will. Photography needs to be learned.

skieur

Kanikula's version is awesome!
Now you have a great shot :)

Splouff, "awesome" is a meaningless statement that really does not help anyone reading it. Explain, please, WHY you think it is "awesome" from the point of view of photographic composition and technical quality.
If you read the guidelines at the top, you will find that this is what Critical Analysis is supposed to be about.

skieur

Well I like it. Correct or not. I do agree on adjusting the DOF so the be was sharper, but the edit did a good job.
I feel like I am looking in on something that is normaly happening around me but I other wise would take notice. It's interesting :)

Awesome! I love the lighting on this one. The background is interesting and not too distracting. The flowers simply pop. The composition gives an interesting view into your thought process when the photo was taken.

Your development as an artist is your own. Do as you feel and never follow.

Love & Bass

it's basic. it looks like you went out to your backyard to take this photo

Most reactions

Back