yellowFlowers

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I don't know if this photo is too dark or not. I tried to lighten up the flowers but was afraid of ruining the quality of the photo. What do you guys think?also give me tips on my composition and everything, thank you!

yellowFlowers.jpg

This photo is very boring to me. It is underexposed, composition is highly questionable with lots of dead space, no sharp focus, absolutely no pop to the colors, and doesn't want to tell me anything interesting about where they live.

I seem to remember a critique somewhere that said that "anybody could have taken this photo". In this case, it has a ring of truth to it.

The critique was objective. But then again, it's just my opinion.

As an example I can give for a flower:
Morning-Glory.jpg

In the example above, the focus is on the one flower. Granted there are opportunities were a managerie of flowers are quite exquisite. However, your photo does not seem to be focusing in on a single subject (the single subject can include multiple objects. Sorry I don't have an example at the moment)

The last sentence may have been a bit of just deserts. But I stand by it - average at best.

i was going for soft focus. Also, this is weird but i liek this one better then my "Withering Away" photo, lol. And, i do not believe any one could have taken this photo. I feel it doesn't need sharp focus as the yellow flowers stand out greatly compared to the background. I also find my image amazingly better looking the the image you posted as an example. Maybe i am being biased towards my work. second opinions?

Okay, you have your opinions about you work, which is a good thing. However, you did post it in the GENERAL CRITICAL ANALYSIS forum. What do you expect, for everyone to ooh and ahh. I don't think that's the point here. Unfortunately, I am the only one to have taken the time to give any point of view and then you attack me for my opinion of having a critique?

Although my immediate response would normally be for you to grow a set, I feel it would be much more constructive to say that the critical analysis is not directed towards you personally, but to the photo you decided to put on for public display. And I will repeat, it's just my opinion. Others may have theirs, but as of yet, I am the only responder out of some 20-30 viewers. Does that give you a clue?

Art is in the eye of the beholder. If you only want opinions that are agreable to yours, then what's the point of asking for opinions of others that are anonymous? At least here you should get an honest assessment of your work. Take what is good and learn. Take what is bad and learn. Take what is indifferent and forget about it.

I'm not mad at you comments, i just don't understand how u say nothing is in focus, when the flowers clearly are in focus. whatevs. i do appreciate your time and effort to comment.

My comment was "no sharp focus". You have a 50mm f/1.8. It's the exact lense I too "Morning Glory" with. I focused in on the one that is to be, not on what has already happened. That is an attitude that might do you well. You've taken a shot of your "yellow flowers". If you try it again, keep in mind what is to be and gain understanding from what has been.

Hey, i don't really understand this: "I focused in on the one that is to be, not on what has already happened. That is an attitude that might do you well. You've taken a shot of your "yellow flowers". If you try it again, keep in mind what is to be and gain understanding from what has been" I want to take this advice, so can you put it in terms that a not so smart 20 year old can understand? Please? THANKS!!! i really do appreciate all your time and effort you are spending on me! also, i took a look at your flickr, the first 2 flower photos are nice.

wow, nice shot kundalini... love the colors and th... oh wait, wrong person to critique...

umm... i agree with what kundalini said (i don't normally like to just chime in with a i agree, but feel it needs to be said here) there is a lot of dead space in your photo joey, the flowers are fairly sharp, but the edges still maintain a softness to them that makes them not really pop as they should. they aren't out of focus mind you, but they are just soft. perhaps increasing the sharpness might help it a bit.

but even still composition wise, it's not so great... random flowers with random grouping in the image capture, and they don't really elicit an emotional response of any sort from me (and apparently kundalini too)

i think given the subject you've chosen, i'd have zeroed in on that group to the right and excluded that solitary flower to the left, it really only detracts from the focal point of the image... more isn't always better. have a reason for it... it'd be more interesting if that one on the left was a different flower or different color... you could go so far as to stretch a story about how that flower is a loner because it's different from the group. blah blah blah.... but your image, i can't even make up a silly story to go with it. again, it just elicits nothing.

more detail in the texture of the flower petals and the centers of the flower (pistol?) will make it more interesting. why did you choose to go for a softer look? i don't understand that choice, but perhaps if you explain it, others will see your vision?

in regards to seeing what is to be and not what is, or however it was stated, i think that in their image, they show a flower that's opened and one that has yet to open... it shows a little bit of what will be given enough time... it's like 2 separate points in time, all at the same time. in theory you could get the same type of image in yours by just focusing in on the bud and the opened flower, but the bud isn't very interesting yet.

I shoot a lot of flowers in a fine art format. This is a nice photo. Why? The contrast between dark and light. It appears rich to me in colour. I like it. The only suggestion I could make is perhaps a bit of cropping to really hone in on the flowers. A bit off the top. A bit off the bottom. It is a little bit soft, but I think it lends to the mood of it overall.

yellowFlowers%20KO%20edit.jpg

There are several philosophical elements at play with my last comment. With regard to my photo of Morning Glory, I was well pleased with the result once it was downloaded to my computer and I could view it enlarged. It was rewarding that the photo came out as it did where the bud was tightly focused and the flower was ever so softly focused. It struck me that I was budding with my photog skills, even just a little bit, and one day I will have blossomed to full glory for all to see. That is where the comment “I focused in on the one that is to be, not on what has already happened” came from.

Now with you, the comment is layered. If you go and shoot your yellow flowers again, keep in the back of your mind any bits of critique that sunk in, whether it’s mine or anybody else’s. Consider your intent and the result you want to see before you depress the shutter release. Ask yourself, Is my framing good, am I at the best POV, what should my DOF be, so on and so forth. Focus in on what is to be, apply those lessons from your last visit, but not on what has already happened.

When I said “That is an attitude that might do you well.” , I was referring more on a social skills level. I have read some of your C&C through this forum and been a bit miffed on more than one occasion. On one in particular you needlessly ripped to shreds an OP and I’m guessing you know to which I refer. You are very proud of your yellow flowers, aren’t you? That’s exactly why you came back in your responses to me with such defensiveness and assault on my photo. However, those words were hollow to me because you did not provide any substantive argument of why you liked your “amazingly better looking” photo. It was a knee-jerk reaction because your feelings were hurt. That OP was very proud of their work just as much and got paid to boot. Now that you have felt the sting, perhaps a rush to judgment may take on more of an approach to critique and not to criticize.

There are more layers, but that’s enough this time round.

I stand by my comments with regard to the yellow flowers as it was presented. Come back with another attempt of the yellow flowers and my views could be completely different. Prove me wrong. That’s my lesson for the day.

thanks for the comment digital diva, i like your crop best. is this a 'standard proportion crop'?

Not at all. It's just a crop I did by eye in Photoshop. I don't believe in adhering to all of the rules and proportional crops. Unless you are doing a series that you want to keep standardized.

Remember that everyone's critique you can listen to or not as your personal choice. Take what you can use and leave the rest behind. ;) YOU are the artist and from what I've seen of your work here and elsewhere, you're doing some good stuff.

Most reactions

Back