Yes, another Newbie, sorry

Rahb

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Well, I took phot0graphy in H.S (1998) and loved it. HAd an old Pentax SLR with a Quantry Lens. 2 years ago my wife bought me a Cannon Rebel XT with a 35-80mm Cannon lens off e-bay. I loved/love it, but like everyon our kodak 4mp digital point and shoot was so much easier to take along when on trips and such. While getting married in Jamaica (see website for photos under wedding) I started getting interested again in photography. Our photographer came with us, and took some good shots (they are the raws on the website...she gave me a dvd with all the raw/non-retouched photos). She of course had a nice 10mp DSLR.

TO THE POINT, since I want to get back into photography I figrued I would come in seak of advice. You know the equipement I have, and obviously it's not digital. Is taking my film to get developed and scanned going to offer good results and quality to pass for a "good" photo, or will I be facing images that were obviously scanned when i want to make prints? I want to use photoshop and stuff but i don't have the $$ to get a dslr yet (wife says I have too many hobbies)

NEXT. I have an Epson Stylus CX6600 All in one. will scanning actual photos yeild good results, or will i be faced with real grainy reprints? as far as dpi or max scan res i'm not positive before someone asks.....anyone know what a cx6600 ha for dpi and scan res?

LAST I have the Cannon SLR with the 35-80mm lens, I would like something I can pull things closer wth, the cannon lenses are just too pricey for me right now. However, I could get a Quantry 70-300mm lens for about $160(us). will I loose allot of quality with an offbrand lens such as that? f/4.0-5.6 here is the link http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/251664561.htm?bct=t13031003%3Bcidigital-cameras-and-accessories%3Bcilenses-for-digital-cameras%3Bcislr-lens%3Bc914962

I planned on starting this friday with some film i had and taking a could of pictures ... getting the developed and going from there. I look forward to attempting some of the contests yall have and see if people can give me some constructive criticism. Anyone who feels like giving me some beginner pointers on any of these issues pleas respond.....if you have some key helpfull info and want to contact me you can always email as well. Thank you

:hail:

Rahb
http://www.huffer.us

That's a real grab-bag of questions! I've come away with the impression that you're a bit at sea here.

My suggestion would be to use your present gear and begin making some 'serious' [eg, thought out] pictures. Cut out a pair of framing 'L's' from white poster board to explore the effects of cropping. Look at the results critically. Focus [sorry!] on the impact of the print. You'll find that such factors as lighting and composition are by far the most important characteristics -- not the camera and lens. Along the way, do hit the books. One of my favorites is an oldie titled 'Photographing The World Around You' by Freeman Patterson. Mr. Patterson gives practical advice and backs it up with excellent examples.

If you don't have them, get a good, heavy, cheap tripod and a cable release and use them. They impose discipline.

Next, as you continue making pictures and exploring what you can do with your equipment, give consideration to gear which will make it easier for you to make your pictures better. By then, you'll have answered most of your questions in a way which is quite specific for the types of pictures you make, or wish to make.

Leave the film behind. Stick with the Canon. One of the beauties of digital while learning is cost. I, like you, started with film in HS. I wanted to get back into it for years but the cost was prohibitive once youv'e paid for a roll of film then paid to have it developed your looking at something like $15-$30 dollars for 36 shots on the conservative side 50 cents per shot. Since I got my DSLR a few years ago i have shot somewhere around 15K shots. In film terms that's around $7500. Don't even worry about printing. I doubt even a decent home printer can match prints from Wal-Mart for either cost or quality. Also consider that the majority of "professional" level shots never end up on print media. Most will stay in the digtal realm.

If you want to reach out look for an inexpensive kit lens.
I'm not sure if this will for your canon.
Amazon.com: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why bring back a 4-year old thread?:scratch:

I wonder if he is still a newbie? I hope not :lmao:

I swear there was a post from user"123" before me. I never even looked at the date of the orginal post. :er:

123 got banned, is no longer a forum member, and all of 123's posts were wiped off the forums.

Wonder if that's a record? How many hours between initial registration and final banning?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back