Yes or no? Canon 3000V SLR

Becky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking for some good advice on whether or not to buy the Canon SLR 3000V camera. I can get either the single lens or a twin kit both at a good price and am very tempted. I've never used SLR cameras before and would love to go down the digital route but unfortunately its just too pricey right now and I'm a student! Also I'd be a little concerned about spending a tonne of money and then not being that interested after a while... I thought a standard SLR might be a good way to get a feel for this sort of camera etc and decide whether a digital would be a better option at some point?

I was wondering if this camera is regarded as good to start on? Since the Canon lenses are interchangeable I figured if I really like SLR photography I can always buy a digital body at a later date.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks in advance :)

hi becky, welcome to the forums!

Im my honest opinion, yes. Any SLR would be a good place to start if you were testing the waters to determine your level of interest in photography. An SLR will teach you the basics, let you play around with odd settings to get different results, and let you interchange lenses. I think this is the best route for you. Digital is great, but like you said, its a pricey initial investment.

Im not sure what the prices are for the 3000V but you should also look at fully manual cameras from nikon or canon. a good AE-1 will be super cheap, and alot of professional photogs use that camera religiously.

hope that helps, take care and good luck!

matt

First off, welcome to our little corner of the Web. :)

I came within wallet-opening distance of buying a 3000V a few months ago but had second thoughts when I was offered a cheap deal on an EOS 350D (i'm still $400 short).
The 3000V is a nice little camera and you can use all of the Canon EF series lenses and when you do upgrade to digital you can use your old EF lenses with your digital SLR body, Avoid buying Canon EF-S series lenses as they will not work with the 3000V because they are designed purely for Digital SLR's only so stick to EF's until you go digital.
Oh yeah, once you've used an SLR you won't want to go back to using a compact camera because you won't have anywhere near as much control over your images as you would with an SLR. :)

Thankyou for the welcome!!

And thanks guys thats a lot of help! I think I've probably got the best available price on this camera at the minute as I work part time in a tax free branch of a big electronics chain so the price is cheaper than normal, and I should be able to beg for some discount too hehe.

I'll certainly have a look into the others you have mentioned before making a firm decision.... and I'll be back to plague you all with questions and camera jargon soon :)

Welcome to the forum.

I think you are on the right track. By getting the 3000v (Rebel G II) you will be able to learn about photography and you will be buying into a great system. You will be able to upgrade your lenses & the body within the Canon system with great compatibility. So when you go digital, everything should be compatible.

I have a Rebel GII which is apparently very similar or the same camera.

I have learned an incredible amount from using it, and it takes perfectly good pictures.

Don't hesitate. Go for it.

Getting an AF SLR might be a good choice.

But make sure that:
1) You get excellent lenses from the start. With film it's hard to judge the quality, but you'll be sure to notice the softness when you get that 8-12 mp digital body.

I'd suggest just a 50/1.8 lens as the only one. You'll learn faster that way.

2) Make sure you know how the body meters. Don't use the matrix metering, but use either centerpoint or weighted. (Read up on it)

Are you gonna print yourself or send it to the shop?

I'd like to get into printing etc but to begin with I'd just be getting them developed in a shop.... whats the average size to go for when developing SLR shots, and can this be done in all the usual places?

This cam has the option of MF or AF.

The lenses that come with the cam I'm looking at are 28-90 and 70-300 .... well thats from memory so the larger lens might not be that, but I think its around that.

Basically I just want to get some good experience and have a fiddle around and learn what everything does, and be able to take some good quality pictures.

Unfortunately its sort've a prepacked deal so I don't get to pick and choose my lenses, but I'd probably be happy to buy another at a later date. Would the two above be sufficient for now? I get the larger lens for under £100 extra. And I'd be paying £127 just for the body and the 28-90mm lens. £212 for the twin kit with both lens which includes case/neckstrapsome film etc.

I suppose its a dumb sounding question, but with the correct settings applied in the right scene, this should take some good photos right?

That camera could take photos just as well as any 35mm camera...in fact the camera itself has little to do with the quality of the photos...it's just a box that holds the film.
It's the same film that you would use in any typical consumer camera from the last 30 years. So yes, you will be able to take great photos...if you, the photographer, is capable.

The difference is in the lens...that's what actually "paints" the light onto the canvas of the film. You will be able to get relatively good results with the lenses you mentioned, probably much better than a point & shoot 35mm camera. However, you will one day discover that there are much, much better lenses available. They can get very expensive though.

I always recommend the 50mm F1.8 lens. It's cheap at about $70 US, and it's very sharp...much better than the lenses that come with the kit you mentioned. It also has a very big maximum aperture ( F1.8 )...which is quite helpful in a lot of situations.

My advice....go ahead and get it...you won't be disappointed.

Big Mike said:
I always recommend the 50mm F1.8 lens. It's cheap at about $70 US, and it's very sharp...much better than the lenses that come with the kit you mentioned. It also has a very big maximum aperture ( F1.8 )...which is quite helpful in a lot of situations.

My advice....go ahead and get it...you won't be disappointed.

Beat me to it Mike! I was going to jump in and suggest a 50mm f1.8 prime lens as a 'starter'. :greenpbl:

Hey Becky, ive seen yah around a bit now.

Id say go for it, I have a 300V and a 300D and both of them are very reliable, as is the Canon 3000V as that is what I was gonna get.
Id go for the twin lens pack, although the lense wont be great, youll have a lot more to work with early on.
Good luck with the camera, and pm me with any Canon worries or anything, and if not post and a lot more peps can help....so..infact...theres...no need...to..pm...me...

So assuming I go for the twin kit, would this other F1.8 lens be worth getting as well? I don't know the difference between lenses or what I would use each for?

An f1.8 lens...you get an f1.8 lens? tell me...whats the name of it? is it a 50mm 1.8? if so its defenetly worth it...

Sorry what I meant was if I got the twin kit with the lenses I mentioned before, would it also be worth purchasing the f1.8 like you mentioned as well?

Sorry for the confusion! I'm still so baffled by lenses :(

It really depends on the type of shooting you will be doing. I think that the 50mm F1.8 would be the most worth wile lens. The two that come in the kit are nice because they zoom which the 50mm does not.

They each have their own uses...you may find that you use one more than the other...which one that will be...only you can find out.

If you can afford it, get all three...but a better idea might be to get the camera with only the 28-90 lens and use that for a while. IF you find that you want a longer lens, then buy the other one. If you find that you want a lens with a wider aperture (low light and shallow depth of field) then maybe the 50mm should be the next purchase. You don't really need to go out and buy all three.

I always suggest the 50mm because it's cheap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back