yet another a low key photography question, but need someone who knows my camera!

blackrose89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted my Low key photos a few minutes ago, got great advice, but I need really specific advice. Seeing as I have a P&S I can't manually control the settings, I want to know what pre-set I should use. I have a Nikon Coolpix L120. There are multiplie pre-sets (as people who've owned my camera should know). I used smart portrait for this. Anyone who had/has my camera know which pre-set I should use what I should use?

An example of what I'm trying to do http://www.flickr.com/photos/68569598@N06/6733976501/in/photostream

No advice for you but....you inspired me to try it.

It was a huge PIA. My cat wouldn't leave alone and kept jumping in my black backdrop so I ended up just trying it with her. Now my backdrop is covered in stupid cat hair! ;)

No advice for you but....you inspired me to try it. It was a huge PIA. My cat wouldn't leave alone and kept jumping in my black backdrop so I ended up just trying it with her. Now my backdrop is covered in stupid cat hair! ;)
:lmao: that's awesome! I actually rescue cats so I understand cats getting in the way. My cats love to jump in the middle of what I'm doing. I mentioned the low key photography to my Mom and she immediately said "ooh do your cats" and I'm like umm animals moments can be challenging enough, not sure if that's the best starter subject a completely new area of photography :lol:

Here is my evil cat. These aren't exactly what I was going for - I was originally doing a still life - but whatever. She's a cutie (even if she's a total *****)!

What settings do you have on your camera?
I have this cheat sheet type thing for P&S - it describes some of the common settings (portrait, sports, etc.) and describes different things they are good for. Its from my photography class....

Not really a good camera for this sort of thing, for best results you need to be able to shoot in manual

It's going to be really hard on your camera. Do you have any options for controlling how the camera meters or exposure compensation?

It's going to be really hard on your camera. Do you have any options for controlling how the camera meters or exposure compensation?

looking at features, it seems like there is exposure compensation up to +/- 2.0eV.

Blackrose: I remember when you was choosing camera... looking at manual options would have been wise ;) . There are equivalently priced cameras that give you more freedom.

I think she's still choosing a camera... this one was a gift for in the mean time.

On the flip side of that... I have to say she's done remarkably well with it's incredible limits so far... I have faith she'll get it figured out to the best ability of the camera!

Thanks a lot Mleek! And she's right. It was a gift. I'm hoping to be getting my first DSLR in a few weeks to a month.

MTVISION I have a cat that looks just like him! Except he's a total sweetheart. As are all of my cats. I hae on that talks a big game, but she's really a softy she just doesn't want everyone to know ;). The settings on my camera are: Portrait, smart portait, night portrait, landscape, night landscape, Macro, Backlighting, beach, dusk/dawn, indoor, museum, pet portait, sport continious, food, snow, sunset.

And yes it does have an exposure control which I do use.

An example of what I'm trying to do fairy3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Your example is more about the lighting than it is about the camera.

. The settings on my camera are: Portrait, smart portait, night portrait, landscape, night landscape, Macro, Backlighting, beach, dusk/dawn, indoor, museum, pet portait, sport continious, food, snow, sunset.
You should be able to deduce which settings would not be applicable for your intention. Then take test shots with all the remaining to see which one(s) yield the better results. This is part of the learning curve we all have to go through. Assuming you have a built-in flash, I would choose a setting that does not automatically fire the flash.

An example of what I'm trying to do fairy3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Your example is more about the lighting than it is about the camera.

. The settings on my camera are: Portrait, smart portait, night portrait, landscape, night landscape, Macro, Backlighting, beach, dusk/dawn, indoor, museum, pet portait, sport continious, food, snow, sunset.
You should be able to deduce which settings would not be applicable for your intention. Then take test shots with all the remaining to see which one(s) yield the better results. This is part of the learning curve we all have to go through. Assuming you have a built-in flash, I would choose a setting that does not automatically fire the flash.

Thanks. I was just seeing if anyone had a better idea. And yeha way ahead of you on the anti-fire flash lol.

The picture was suppose to be an example of the lighting I was trying to accomplish.

The picture was suppose to be an example of the lighting I was trying to accomplish.
It looks like a split lighting pattern to me. This is accomplished by having the main light basically even with the subject on one side, so one side is lit and the other falls into shadow.

Although you may not have external off camera flash equipment, you may still find this article a good read on lighting patterns.
Tutorial: Basic Light Patterns

EDIT:
Just saw your other thread and didn't realize this was your photo. I guess you know how it was lit. :blushing:

Last edited:
It looks like a split lighting pattern to me. This is accomplished by having the main light basically even with the subject on one side, so one side is lit and the other falls into shadow.

Although you may not have external off camera flash equipment, you may still find this article a good read on lighting patterns.
Tutorial: Basic Light Patterns

EDIT:
Just saw your other thread and didn't realize this was your photo. I guess you know how it was lit. :blushing:

LOL! Thanks for the info though!

I think she's still choosing a camera... this one was a gift for in the mean time.

On the flip side of that... I have to say she's done remarkably well with it's incredible limits so far... I have faith she'll get it figured out to the best ability of the camera!

I agree on the good use she is doing of what she have. Just pointing out that, while the casual shooter may be easily satisfied by a good P&S, who is aiming at more sooner or later will hit the limits.

Here's my low key lighting, using an LED flash light diffused with an 8x11 paper. Camera is my iPhone 4S. :D

6741001029_6d38b626fa.jpg

Most reactions

Back