Yet Another Bag Question Thread

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'll start off by saying I'm sorry TPF, I try my best to not put up threads that have already been beaten to death, but I don't have much of a choice at the moment.

Recently I posted about a case to use for getting my gear to my summer job safely this year, and it was settled that a Pelican 1510 was the best option. So wouldn't you know that right as I'm about to buy the thing, it occurs to be that while a good old Pelican case would get my gear to the island, it wouldn't do squat for getting it around the island. As a result of that breakthrough, I'm thinking getting a quality backpack might be the better option for getting it there, and then toting gear around on day-trips.

I've searched the forums on mostly every topic relating to backpacks, scoured Amazon and narrowed it down somewhat, but I've realized none of the packs seem to satisfy what I need. Namely something that can handle a 70-200 attached to a gripped 600D with space for a few extra lenses, has a laptop slot for a 13" macbook, a pocket for some extra stuff (clothes, etc), is easy to quickly access the camera (such as the slingshot/fastpack), and is all weather (cover included or water beading). It also has to be airline carry-on friendly.

Right now I'm pretty settled on the following packs (though if you have a recommendation, toss it out there). I've included problems I've found with each pack:
- Lowepro Fastpack 250 (problem is, no AW cover)
- Lowepro Fastpack 250AW (problem is some reviews say its quite heavy and doesn't have as much camera space)
- Clik Eite Obscura (I really like this one, except the compartment is too small for a gripped DSLR according to many reviews. It lacks generally having much camera gear space.)
- Lowepro Flipside 400AW (only problem is it doesn't look like it has too much space for non-camera stuff. No laptop space.)

Note: Slingshot isn't there because I'm not a fan of the sling design. The pack needs to be comfortable for everyday use and longer day trips.

What do you all think? Am I asking for too much given my budget of $200 (absolute max)? Any suggestions?

Best,

Toga

Nice brain coral! I love pelican cases. For $200 you for sure can get a quality backpack for your gear, but I don't have a strong opinion on any of those packs. I would think one of the Lowepro 250's.

Thanks Clint!

Right now I'm pretty much settled on the Lowepro Fastpack 250 AW (DSLR Video). From what I understand its basically the 250 but upgraded a bit with a weather cover and a tripod holder. Anyone have any blatant objections or warnings I should heed?

I have the flipside 400aw and its great for camera gear, but exactly as you said it holds not much else, I to was looking to get a daypack that would hold gear and substantial camera gear and struggled to find one. While i have not gone down the road yet you can get padded camera partitions on ebay that look like they could be incorporated into a non camera weatherproof backpack, so you could effectively customise your pack. Chances are that this option while taking a little more effort will work out cheaper

edit, here is a link for such an example

Folding Partition Padded Bag SLR DSLR Camera Bag Insert | eBay

I thing a Lowepro Vertex 100 AW would do the trick for you. I have one and it easily holds my 7D gripped with a 70-200 USM along with 4 lenses, a flash and misc in the main compartment. It also has a section for a laptop up to 15". It runs about $175 at Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you been to the Lowepro site and punched in your needs to see their suggestions? I find that to be a really handy feature.

I thing a Lowepro Vertex 100 AW would do the trick for you. I have one and it easily holds my 7D gripped with a 70-200 USM along with 4 lenses, a flash and misc in the main compartment. It also has a section for a laptop up to 15". It runs about $175 at Amazon.

Thanks for the great suggestion! I checked out the vertex and it looked perfect, except I noticed that there doesn't appear to be any way to quickly access the camera, is that true? I'll likely end up carrying the bag around campus next year and being able to whip out the camera quickly is essential.

Have you been to the Lowepro site and punched in your needs to see their suggestions? I find that to be a really handy feature.

Yup! Unfortunately it gave me pretty limited results, but among them was the DSLR Video Fastpack, which is my top pick at the moment.

So as I just mentioned, at the moment the DSLR Video Fastpack is my top pick. However, I'm having trouble picking between the 350 or 250. The 250 appears to be just big enough to fit my gripped 600D with two other lenses. However, I don't think it would fit a 70-200 for when I pick one up in the future. The 350 on the other hand will fit a 70-300, but I'm concerned it might be too roomy/that my 55-250 setup would bounce around in there too much in the mean time. Any thoughts?

I thing a Lowepro Vertex 100 AW would do the trick for you. .

Thanks for the great suggestion! I checked out the vertex and it looked perfect, except I noticed that there doesn't appear to be any way to quickly access the camera, is that true? I'll likely end up carrying the bag around campus next year and being able to whip out the camera quickly is essential.

Yup! Unfortunately it gave me pretty limited results, but among them was the DSLR Video Fastpack, which is my top pick at the moment.

So as I just mentioned, at the moment the DSLR Video Fastpack is my top pick. However, I'm having trouble picking between the 350 or 250. The 250 appears to be just big enough to fit my gripped 600D with two other lenses. However, I don't think it would fit a 70-200 for when I pick one up in the future. The 350 on the other hand will fit a 70-300, but I'm concerned it might be too roomy/that my 55-250 setup would bounce around in there too much in the mean time. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, the Vertex 100 AW does NOT have the quick access opening like the SlingShot series does.
IMHO, I dont think you will like the Fastpack series. I actually purchsed a Fastpack 350 and hated it. I returned it and exchanged it for the Vertex. The Fastpack 350 was not QUITE wide enough to hold my 7D with a 70-200mm mounted. It would actually stick out about a 1/2". You could work at it and get the zipped closed, but I didnt feel very comfortable having the lcd up tight against the side, in fear that a bump at the spot could trash my lcd. In addition, there is a huge compartment in the top section of the pack, but it is just a big void area with no way of securing what you put in theat section, rather, it would all be just bouncing around.
That's my reviews. Good luck. Finding a bag that fits your needs is not always easy.

Last edited:
I thing a Lowepro Vertex 100 AW would do the trick for you. .

Unfortunately, the Vertex 100 AW does NOT have the quick access opening like the SlingShot series does.
IMHO, I dont think you will like the Fastpack series. I actually purchsed a Fastpack 350 and hated it. I returned it and exchanged it for the Vertex. The Fastpack 350 was not QUITE wide enough to hold my 7D with a 70-200mm mounted. It would actually stick out about a 1/2". You could work at it and get the zipped closed, but I didnt feel very comfortable having the lcd up tight against the side, in fear that a bump at the spot could trash my lcd. In addition, there is a huge compartment in the top section of the pack, but it is just a big void area with no way of securing what you put in theat section, rather, it would all be just bouncing around.
That's my reviews. Good luck. Finding a bag that fits your needs is not always easy.

I hear you there, its a pain finding the right one! Im definitely not tossing out the Vertex as a possibility, its a quality bag, I just have to decide what I want :lol:

Nice brain coral! I love pelican cases. For $200 you for sure can get a quality backpack for your gear, but I don't have a strong opinion on any of those packs. I would think one of the Lowepro 250's.

Funny, i noticed the brain coral as the first thing as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back