Yet another moon thread...

Netskimmer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There have been a run on these here lately and they inspired me to try my new 70-200 and TC 1.7 with a lunar session. These were done on my 30min lunch break last night. They are heavily cropped but I don't think they turned out too bad. I still think I can do better though. Did a little sharpening in post.

DSC_3287.jpg

DSC_3286.jpg

1st image:
340mm
ISO 500
1/125s
F/9

2nd image:
340mm
ISO 320
1/125s
F/9

Last edited:
While take "good" pictures of the moon seems to be a rite of photographic passage, shooting it close to the horizon would give a more interesting photographic perspective. For instance, according to TPE (The Photographer's Ephemeris | Plan your shoot), at my location (Montreal) the gibbous moon (59% lit) is rising at about 11:40 today (March 2, 2012) at roughly 60 degrees (with due north being 0 degrees and due east being 90 degrees). Depending on your local topography, actual moon rise could be a bit later. In any case, the Earth rotates about 15 degrees per hour, so within the first 1/2 hour of moonrise, you should be able to shoot it with your 200 or 300mm lens and get it close to the horizon. The actual times of moonrise are dependent on your longitude and latitude, so you'd need to enter your coordinates into the app to see when it will work for you... Anyways, if you get a chance to try it, would love to see the results.;)

Thank you Frequency.

Thank you for the link pgriz, I will give that a try this weekend if I get the chance. I can't really do it during the week because I work nights and can only shoot while on break. I will definitly take a run at it when I get the chance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back