Yet another release question...

audreyld

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been taking basketball pictures at local high schools this season. I began taking them just so I could get some practice in. Some of the shots are really good, and I would like to include them in my portfolio (as I'd like to re-join the ranks of the employed sometime soon...). I would also like to include them in my online portfolio.

Do I need a release from the subjects of the pictures?
What about urban shots with people in them?

Again, I'm not looking to sell them, I just want to be able to show them to prospective employers.

~Audrey

Unfortunatly yes you do, and even if by law you didnt, youd still be wise to get one.
Most of the photography laws are different for different countries, but I think you need one nun the less.
Ask the team, and get them all to sign, and maybe you can be their photographer for each game, and if your lucky you can do it for free.

If they are children, youll need the adults to counter sign aswell.

Dont worry though, explain yourself and you should be safe :)

No you don't need a model release form. Do you really think that at every football match that all the players sign every photographer's model release form??? Also, street photography is about a moment in time - as long as your image is not intended to defame/insult someone, then it's just a picture.

Taking pictures of minors on private property can be an issue, but it will be with the institution, not the kids. Ideally you should get permission before the event, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

robhesketh said:
No you don't need a model release form. Do you really think that at every football match that all the players sign every photographer's model release form??? Also, street photography is about a moment in time - as long as your image is not intended to defame/insult someone, then it's just a picture.

Taking pictures of minors on private property can be an issue, but it will be with the institution, not the kids. Ideally you should get permission before the event, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

I was told that if the subject is in 50% of the subject of a photo...then you need a model release....unless you cant tell who they are...

A quick risk/rewards assessment tells me that it's never going to be an issue, since the website is hard to get to (they're not going to find themselves by Googling their own names), and it's not like some editor is going to look at my stringbook and decide to call up number 55 on the wildcat team.

However, I plan to do more street photography and such, and would generally like to avoid making it an issue.

Thanks for the responses.

~Audrey

Unless you're using the images for commercial purposes a model release should not be needed. Journalists don't get model releases from everyone they take pictures of.

voodoocat said:
Unless you're using the images for commercial purposes a model release should not be needed. Journalists don't get model releases from everyone they take pictures of.

Journalism is a different sort of beast. Not only is it protected by constitution in the US, but so long as you are actually contracted to a media group, the law in general is in your favor. If you lie about working for a newspaper or such, then it becomes fraud...and that's a fellony that will get you sent up.

I think, so long as you're not making money from it and it isn't defamatory or shows illigal activity, you should be safe.

But I'm not a lawyer. So don't blame me if it goes pear-shaped. I believe this thread might be helpful.

Thanks for the link.

I should mention that I am a journalist (doing some freelance writing at the moment) who is looking to find full-time work at a paper/mag in photography. I actually had a class on all of this stuff (right to privacy/right to publicity, etc.) but I've never been sure if my portfolio constituted a commercial/advertising venture in that I am using it to promote myself.

~Audrey

Rogue Monk said:
Journalism is a different sort of beast. Not only is it protected by constitution in the US, but so long as you are actually contracted to a media group, the law in general is in your favor.

I have never seen anywhere that tells me that "Journalism is different" where did you get that from? I have the same rights as someone who works for a paper as far as I know. If you are right then all you would have to do is becoume a freelance photographer which I don't think costs that much, well atleast better then getting contracted to a media group. I could be wrong so let me know...

I don't know about law, but I did a lot of sports competitions.

For me to even be there, I had to sign a form that I agree to be photographed, videotaped, put in newspapers... etc...

Most reactions

Back