yet another thread about hyperfocal distance

omeletteman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I just spent a while perusing the back pages of this forum for info on hyperfocal distance, and while i believe i understand it, a quick look at my msot recent roll of film clearly shows that I don't...

here's the problem: i went camping last weekend and was up in the mountains taking pictures of all the great scenery, but now that I have the pictures back, I find a lot of them to be annoyingly out of focus. My lens has those convenient markings on them that tell me where I'm focusing, so from everything I've read, I should jsut have to line up the aperature with the infinity mark and that should give me hyperfocal distance. But that apparently isnt working, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for how to get the whole picture sharp. I would have posted an example, but I don't have a scanner available at the moment. Thanks a lot :)

omeletteman said:
So I just spent a while perusing the back pages of this forum for info on hyperfocal distance, and while i believe i understand it, a quick look at my msot recent roll of film clearly shows that I don't...

here's the problem: i went camping last weekend and was up in the mountains taking pictures of all the great scenery, but now that I have the pictures back, I find a lot of them to be annoyingly out of focus. My lens has those convenient markings on them that tell me where I'm focusing, so from everything I've read, I should jsut have to line up the aperature with the infinity mark and that should give me hyperfocal distance. But that apparently isnt working, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for how to get the whole picture sharp. I would have posted an example, but I don't have a scanner available at the moment. Thanks a lot :)

OM, what lens were you using? Focal length, make and so on.

Also, how old is it and has it been ever dropped or mishandled (I'm thinking misalignment of the cells here)?

I have read up on hyper focal and purchased a few cards I keep in my camera bags. After cross refferencing all of my settings against the charts I find myself going back to my previous method for landscapes: use the highest f stop you can , always a tripod, press the aperature preview to see what you have (since it's there) and if you are feeling really ambitous and your camera has the feature; mirror lockup and a remote trigger or self timer. I always bracket a 1/3 and a 1/2 both ways as I use slide film which lacks the latitude to compensate....Good luck

Most reactions

New Topics

Back