Yikes! 19 years old willing to be a professional photographer!

I'm not bashing photography as a profession either. I just don't want the OP to have this delusion that he's going to jump into this glamorous photography career that doesn't require bust ass work to get adequate pay. That part always seems to get left out.

I understand the sentiment in the context of the OP's post, but I disagree with the prevalent notion that being "well off" is somehow more important than finding some satisfaction out of, and being good at my chosen career.

I didn't think it was the prevalent notion, but If you or anybody finds a satisfying career in photography, go for it. I think most young people that show interest in it are blind to the amount of work actually involved with it, let alone making a living out of it.

yea, I guess i should have inquired where you got yours from. apparently its a higher quality model them mine.

Nah, mine doesn't try and tell the future. It's just more optimistic and less presumptuous.

yea, I guess i should have inquired where you got yours from. apparently its a higher quality model them mine.

Nah, mine doesn't try and tell the future. It's just more optimistic and less presumptuous.

I said he could be an astronaut. seriously, how much more optimistic can you get?

I didn't think it was the prevalent notion, but If you or anybody finds a satisfying career in photography, go for it. I think most young people that show interest in it are blind to the amount of work actually involved with it, let alone making a living out of it.

I meant prevalent on this forum, as in almost EVERY single person is quick to tell the OP that they will totally hate photography as a profession. It's almost as if nobody wants to point the OP in a direction to give them more resources to make a more educated decision.

Let's just tell the OP to become a doctor or something. It's easier.

I'm not bashing photography as a profession either. I just don't want the OP to have this delusion that he's going to jump into this glamorous photography career that doesn't require bust ass work to get adequate pay. That part always seems to get left out.

I understand the sentiment in the context of the OP's post, but I disagree with the prevalent notion that being "well off" is somehow more important than finding some satisfaction out of, and being good at my chosen career.

Pfft. Who you kiddin'?

The OP is nineteen. That means that they're immortal and unstoppable. Anyone who says anything that is counter to their plan or agenda is simply some old fart who doesn't understand the way it is "these days". This person is going to change the world.

Oh and the OP is probably used to... what... minimum wage? Odds are good that, like many such as this person, they will make at LEAST that doing the photography thing, and since they've never made more than that, it'll be a great place to start. Why not? McDonalds or Photography? If it's the same pay and better work? Sold!

The thing is, many of us read this and howl in pain... but the OP probably reads this and says "Yeah! Totally!" And really... why not? If I was just starting out and was full of piss and vinegar, I'd probably do the same thing. There's at least a chance that the OP can become VERY successful. Sure, there's a lot more chance that they won't and they'll wind up making a lifetime adjusted rate of like $40K a year... but $40K a year is a lot of money to some people and in some parts of the country, so really... that's not at all bad.

*shrug* It's essentially totally logical and totally unstoppable.

And here I thought I was helping you limit your competition. lol Just kidding.

I meant prevalent on this forum, as in almost EVERY single person is quick to tell the OP that they will totally hate photography as a profession. It's almost as if nobody wants to point the OP in a direction to give them more resources to make a more educated decision.

Let's just tell the OP to become a doctor or something. It's easier.

wait a sec...if you read MY post (the first OR second) i believe I mentioned a few times about getting a good education in business, and not giving away quality work. as well as learning good marketing skills.
none of which eludes to any prediction by me that the OP will hate his job as a photographer, OR that he shouldnt do it. bringing up the realistic difficulties of choosing this profession is not necessarily meant as a deterrent, but instead should be taken by the OP as a list of issues he will need to address if he wants to make a serious run at photography as a full time job.

Pfft. Who you kiddin'?

The OP is nineteen. That measn that they're immortal and unstoppable. Anyone who says anything that is counter to their plan or agenda is simply some old fart who doesn't understand the way it is "these days". This person is going to change the world.

Oh and the OP is probably used to... what... minimum wage? Odds are good that, like many such as this person, they will make at LEAST that doing the photography thing, and since they've never made more than that, it'll be a great place to start. Why not? McDonalds or Photography? If it's the same pay and better work? Sold!

The thing is, many of us read this and howl in pain... but the OP probably reads this and says "Yeah! Totally!" And really... why not? If I was just starting out and was full of piss and vinegar, I'd probably do the same thing. There's at least a chance that the OP can become VERY successful. Sure, there's a lot more chance that they won't and they'll wind up making a lifetime adjusted rate of like $40K a year... but $40K a year is a lot of money to some people and in some parts of the country, so really... that's not at all bad.

That may be but who are we to change his mind?

Why not give him the resources (or at least help the OP to find them) to make a decision on their own terms.

I'm sure the OP does not give a damn who on this forum failed, or wages out, or burnt out.

Trying to "save" people from non-lethal risks that they are willing to take is just another way that people try and assert their own perceived superiority.

I'm not gonna tell anyone not to go into this profession because I honestly have NO idea about their personal situation.

wait a sec...if you read MY post (the first OR second) i believe I mentioned a few times about getting a good education in business, and not giving away quality work. as well as learning good marketing skills.
none of which eludes to any prediction by me that the OP will hate his job as a photographer, OR that he shouldnt do it. bringing up the realistic difficulties of choosing this profession is not necessarily meant as a deterrent, but instead should be taken by the OP as a list of issues he will need to address if he wants to make a serious run at photography as a full time job.

I'm probably not referring to your post specifically then. All of my responding has been to your questionably sarcastic (?) remark that being a mediocre doctor is better than being a good "insert creative profession here"

I'd hate to go to a doctor with that mentality. "Being a doctor was my backup plan, because of the money."

I'm probably not referring to your post specifically then. All of my responding has been to your questionably sarcastic (?) remark that being a mediocre doctor is better than being a good "insert creative profession here"

I'd hate to go to a doctor with that mentality. "Being a doctor was my backup plan, because of the money."

Oooh.. See, you said kinda sorta decent photographer... I thought you were comparing a mediocre doctor to a mediocre photographer.

Oooh.. See, you said kinda sorta decent photographer... I thought you were comparing a mediocre doctor to a mediocre photographer.

Oh. No I was just trying describe a good photographer in a humble way since "good" has never been more subjective.

Words are cheap. Lol

Oh. No I was just trying describe a good photographer in a humble way since "good" has never been more subjective.

Words are cheap. Lol

Ah.. Well, that being the case then, i totally agree with you.

Pfft. Who you kiddin'?

The OP is nineteen. That measn that they're immortal and unstoppable. Anyone who says anything that is counter to their plan or agenda is simply some old fart who doesn't understand the way it is "these days". This person is going to change the world.

That may be but who are we to change his mind?

Why not give him the resources (or at least help the OP to find them) to make a decision on their own terms.

I'm sure the OP does not give a damn who on this forum failed, or wages out, or burnt out.

Trying to "save" people from non-lethal risks that they are willing to take is just another way that people try and assert their own perceived superiority.

I'm not gonna tell anyone not to go into this profession because I honestly have NO idea about their personal situation.

I believe that was pretty much my point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back