Yikes! 19 years old willing to be a professional photographer!

I'm not bashing photography as a profession either. I just don't want the OP to have this delusion that he's going to jump into this glamorous photography career that doesn't require bust ass work to get adequate pay. That part always seems to get left out.

I understand the sentiment in the context of the OP's post, but I disagree with the prevalent notion that being "well off" is somehow more important than finding some satisfaction out of, and being good at my chosen career.

Maybe some people can be happy at 30k a year gross... but not me! lol! Job satisfaction is wonderful, but it doesn't pay the bills!

I'm not bashing photography as a profession either. I just don't want the OP to have this delusion that he's going to jump into this glamorous photography career that doesn't require bust ass work to get adequate pay. That part always seems to get left out.

I understand the sentiment in the context of the OP's post, but I disagree with the prevalent notion that being "well off" is somehow more important than finding some satisfaction out of, and being good at my chosen career.

Maybe some people can be happy at 30k a year gross... but not me! lol! Job satisfaction is wonderful, but it doesn't pay the bills!

That is true, but there's another side to this discussion. We do control which bills we incur and which recurring expenditures we decide to be "needed". Above a certain basic level, every buying choice is for fulfilling desires, fantasies, creature comforts, aspiration for recognition, striving for status, and (sometimes) just being plain greedy. It has been noted by many that much of the North American effort since WWII has been devoted to acquisition of status by accumulation of material goods. For a while, it benefited the general local population, as the producers were our neighbours or entities that were in the same general area. But when those production jobs went elsewhere... the pyramid of consumption found that the base is eroding, and at a certain point the current structure cannot be sustained. So perhaps less focus on revenue, and more attention to the general good that is created, would help restore some sanity to our way of living. One can hope.

"Anyways, I might make an ebook for all of you people out there to help you understand the communicative power that can contain a photographs,"

Preaching to the choir my friend. ;)

"Anyways, I might make an ebook for all of you people out there to help you understand the communicative power that can contain a photographs,"

Preaching to the choir my friend. ;)

More presumption than preaching.

Most reactions

Back