Yo! Advice on Lighting Setup?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello!

So before spending another $400 on a lens, I want to invest in some better lighting. Given a budget of, let's say $200, what would you recommend? Links appreciated.

I would like to do portraits inside and out, with my next shoot having an urban theme. I want this next shoot to be my best yet, and look a little more "professional." I know I need lights so I'm thinking 2-3 speed lights, remote(s) to activate them, tripods, and diffusers (softbox, umbrella, etc). I already plan to get a 5-in-1 reflector, but I guess I would need a stand for that too.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

I recommend a budget of $2,000.

Yongnuos and cowboy studio flash triggers/receivers. A cheap way to get a decent setup.

Yongnuos and cowboy studio flash triggers/receivers. A cheap way to get a decent setup.

I 2nd ^this. The Yongnuos will get you by (no TTL, but manual is better anyway) and the CBS radio poppers are reliable.

I have a couple Yongnuo 603s haven't had a single misfire... Also really like my 560 IIs

Sent from my iPhone

I would strongly recommend going with the YN triggers as opposed to the Cowboy Studio triggers!
have you had problems with the CBS triggers?
I got one in a job lot of bits & pieces I bought a while back, tried it, and it might fire eight out of ten times, and I know two photographers in my club that were lured by the low prices and regretted it.

I have YN flashes But they will push you out of the $200 range.

This is my ETTL Youngnuo flash about 100 bux

$image-3161007822.jpg

$image-4123362842.jpg

Look up Godox or Neweer TT520 speed lights on the bay. Also I have had good luck with the Wansen triggers. You can do 2 umbrellas and stands, 2 flashes, 2 flash shoe/umbrella swivels and wireless triggers for the 200 bux plus a black king size sheet for a background..,.i did.

These shot with above list including 2 TT520's at 1/4 power or so

$image-4035712175.jpg

$image-767997031.jpg

$image-3649395278.jpg

Last edited:

I 2nd ^this. The Yongnuos will get you by (no TTL, but manual is better anyway) and the CBS radio poppers are reliable.

I believe there are Yongnuos available that have TTL, but I would like to try manual anyway.

I have YN flashes But they will push you out of the $200 range.

This is my ETTL Youngnuo flash about 100 bux

View attachment 51869

View attachment 51870

Look up Godox or Neweer TT520 speed lights on the bay. Also I have had good luck with the Wansen triggers. You can do 2 umbrellas and stands, 2 flashes, 2 flash shoe/umbrella swivels and wireless triggers for the 200 bux plus a black king size sheet for a background..,.i did.

These shot with above list including 2 TT520's at 1/4 power or so

View attachment 51866

View attachment 51867

View attachment 51868

Now THIS is the kinda response I was hoping for. I've been weary of the Neewer/Godox brands but perhaps it'll be worth is? What is your experience with them? And could you give me perhaps Amazon links to the items in your setup?

Thanks!

Yes I can look.....I am on my phone. Will need a bit of time to look stuff up on pc. I used the bay. Flashes bout $45 each, swivels $8, stands $20 pair, umbrellas 33" bout 10bux a pair, wansen 2 triggers and sender 20 bux, black sheet 15 bux, etc......I'll look on amazon for you tomorrow

On the TT520's the guide number is lower than advertised but that is ok......on low power they recycle very fast on rechargeable AA's. I expose for a dark frame at 1/200 in a normally lit room and them bring each flash up to where I want it.... So I am using no ambient light. I have had zero issues with the flashes and I own two for my strobist work in addition to the ettl YN I use on my canon 1000d. Hope this helps

Yes I can look.....I am on my phone. Will need a bit of time to look stuff up on pc. I used the bay. Flashes bout $45 each, swivels $8, stands $20 pair, umbrellas 33" bout 10bux a pair, wansen 2 triggers and sender 20 bux, black sheet 15 bux, etc......I'll look on amazon for you tomorrow

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. And the flashes, how were/are they for you? And I'm trying to figure out how to trigger them... If I got the Yongnuos with built-in receivers, can I get just one transmitter and it would set off all three at once?

Most reactions

Back