yo help me out with lens choice

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
yo, im gonan order a 30d soon with the 18-55mm kit lens. im thinking of getting the canon 85mm 1.8, and the Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro. My question is, shuld i get the 100mm canon macro or 50mm canon prime isntead of the sigma? i figure the kit lense will be good enough for landscape's right, the 85mm for action/portraits in low light,

s0... shuld i get a 100mm canon macro or a canon 50mm or the sigma?? :-\

You won't need both the 18-55 kit lens and the 17-70 Sigma. The Kit lens is pretty affordable when purchased with the camera...it's an OK lens, but it does have a pretty crappy build and feel. The Sigma gets pretty good reviews I think. I would also suggest the Sigma 18-80 F2.8 or the Tamron 17-50 F2.8.

The 85mm F1.8 will be a great portrait lens.

The Sigma will focus fairly close and be OK for close up work...but a Canon 'Macro' like the 100mm will give you real 1:1 macro. I can't tell you if the Sigma would be good enough for you...but it could also serve as your landscape lens because it's fairly wide. The 100mm is probably a good deal sharper and could also serve as your portrait lens.

hm... what if i scratch the 85mm and got the canon 100mm macro, the kit lense and Sigma 18-80 F2.8? would that be a good set up for a wide range of photography?

i need a good portrait lens thats VERY sharp, a fairly decent wide angle (the kit lens is good enough) and a walk around zoom. CRAP if only i had unlimited money.... lol

You won't need both the 18-55mm kit lens and the 18-50 F2.8...because you would never use the kit lens.

How about this?

Get a Sigma or Tamron 17(18 )-50mm F2.8. Which can be your landscape lens as well as your walk around lens. Then get a prime lens, which can be your sharp portrait lens.

A 50mm F1.8 is nice a cheap but quite sharp. The 50mm F1.4 is built much better with better focus but is more expensive. Or the 85mm F1.8 or the 100mm F2.8 Macro. The 85mm has a bigger max aperture...which is nice...but the 100mm is also a Macro lens. They should all be very sharp.

You may even find that 17 or 18mm is not wide enough for landscapes...in which case you should look at the really wide lenses like the Canon 10-22mm or similar lenses from Tamron, Sigma or Tokina.

hm, well the thing is, i can get the kit lens for $100 with the camera, so i figured, why not get it? lol

so... shuld i just get the kit, and the 100mm macro, or the kit and the 85mm 1.8?

i want a bigger zoom too, so is there a good zoom lens, say... like up to 200mm that's under $600? if there is i will get that, the kit lens, and have to decide over the 100mm macro or 85mm 1.8... lol

im trying to spend as close to $2,500 as i can buying the best lenses i can that cover a diverse field of photography and a 30d body.

hm, well the thing is, i can get the kit lens for $100 with the camera, so i figured, why not get it? lol

Maybe so, but if you're paying even $100 for a lens that never gets used (and honestly, why would you ever use it if you also had a better lens covering the same focal length?) then it seems like a waste. You could maybe sell it though.

so... shuld i just get the kit, and the 100mm macro, or the kit and the 85mm 1.8?

That is something you really have to decide for yourself. Question is, which is more important to you, macro capability or a faster lens?

im trying to spend as close to $2,500 as i can buying the best lenses i can that cover a diverse field of photography and a 30d body.

I understand it's tempting to spend what you've got on the camera and lenses, but consider saving some cash for other things like good filters, tripods, computer hardware and software (for example for calibration).

i have photoshop CS and a sony vaio laptop so i got the computer equipment covered. so, maybe i should jsut get the 30d body, the sigma 17-70mm macro and the 85mm. that will be a good start right?

That would be a good start. One of the constant f/2.8 lenses might be better than the Sigma with f/2.8-f/4.5 but no doubt it's still a good lens. By computer equipment I also meant more specific items like calibration software and hardware. And you will almost certainly want filters - a circular polariser at least.

If you are looking for a telephoto zoom...the 70-200 F4 L is said to be spectacular. There is a 70-200 F2.8 L that is even better...but it's very expensive. You can either lens with IS, but that also adds to the price.

You could look at a 70-300 lens...there are several available. However, they are fairly slow. Canon has a version with IS, that would help with hand held shooting.

I have a friend who has that lens...and he likes it.

It would be a good choice for nature shooting or just general outdoor telephoto stuff. The IS will really help to get sharper shots than if using the same lens without IS. It isn't the best choice for things like sports, with moving subjects...because, although IS helps to get sharper shots, it won't help to freeze a moving subject. For the price, this looks to be a pretty good telephoto zoom. Not as good as an L lens...but pretty good.

The 70-200mm f/4 without IS appears to be roughly the same price as the 70-300mm with IS. I would imagine the 70-200mm is a better optical design, but I could be wrong.

now... to convince my grandfather to loan me $2,500 haha plus if i get this job at ritz, i shuld get major discounts. :):):) thanks for all the help guys!

yo, im gonan order a 30d soon with the 18-55mm kit lens. im thinking of getting the canon 85mm 1.8, and the Sigma Zoom Super Wide Angle AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro. My question is, shuld i get the 100mm canon macro or 50mm canon prime isntead of the sigma? i figure the kit lense will be good enough for landscape's right, the 85mm for action/portraits in low light,

s0... shuld i get a 100mm canon macro or a canon 50mm or the sigma?? :-\

How about getting the kit lens and a 50mm f1.8. ($69.00) Learn to use them and the camera. Then you will know what you need. Buying a bunch of glass does not do a lot of good if you don't know the quality of the glass or what to do with the lenses. With a little experience and some practice you will gain the knowledge you need to buy the lenses that you need. With the money you save while you are leaning what you have, you will also be able to afford much better glass. You are not buying a camera you are buying a system. Buy good glass and take care of it and it will last you a life time of camera bodies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back