Yo!

TheJoker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My name is Mike and well here: (tried resizing a million times, so just click the pic for full size if you dare!)

well i've been going through the forums and im obviously a novice, i would like to point out that these were taken with a ****ty digi cam, i haven't edited them in anyway, as you see them are as they came off my camera.

Welcome. The beer is in the fridge, and the nuts are all over the board!

Want some schwetty nuts?

i would love some schwetty balls..i mean nuts...wait...does it matter? anyway, i posted those pic because i figured a picture says a thousand words, but i think i'll add a thousand words to that post. I think my passion exceeds my skill. if anyone wants they can CC those pics, but frankly those were some half ass shots that took me maybe 5 minutes total to accumulate, i would love a DSLR instead of my Fujifilm FinePix JV100, but i do what i can with what i've got, i would like to delve into the more technical side of my camera because lately i've been doing a lot of point and shoot, i do attempt to get the lighting and composition right when i do shoot but well...idk wtf im doing. utmost apologies for my horrible grammar, at least i know how to spell right? :?P (yes i use question marks as noses for my smilies)

What's up fellow Idahoan :p

So what kind of stuff do you like or want to shoot around Boise? I'd love to know what you think about my flikr page since you've probably seen most of the stuff I've shot in the past few weeks. :mrgreen:

So freakin awesome Conrad, would love to learn from somebody who actually knows what they're doing, the only learning experiences I've had are from going out there and taking pictures (and I read one book from Nat. Geo. but it was written for DSLR users) so even though we use different equipment I'm sure I could learn a lot from you. Oh and to answer your question, I've been doing a lot of flower/nature pics because my mom likes pictures of flowers, but as you can see from my OP that I'd like to try something different and more abstract (not that flowers can't be abstract) one picture I've always wanted to take but can never seem to get off my ass and go get it, is a picture of Boise from the top of camels back at night (similar to your train depot pictures but I feel camels back gives a better view although not particularly of downtown) and well **** it's 12:25am right now, and I really should man up and just go get that freaking picture (on the other hand maybe I'll wait til summer comes round again :lol:)

Last edited:
Ha! I didn't say I knew what I was doing. :p

So camels back huh? That's quite the hike.

well.. your main goal right now is to buy a DSLR. Safe some money and find something local on Craigslist.

Schwettylens said:
well.. your main goal right now is to buy a DSLR. Safe some money and find something local on Craigslist.

Yea, definitely try and pick up a dslr

well thanks for the advice guys but im practically homeless right now (those pics are from my moms house) so a dslr is WAY off in the future, but i'd like to know if you guys think it would be worth it for me to even get one? i mean obviously i could develop what little skill i have over time, but do i even have soild enough foundation of the basics of lighting and composition that i should continue with my "conquest'? (nvm that's a "stupid" question if im really passionate about something it shouldn't matter if anyone thinks im good enough i should do it for myself.)

well thanks for the advice guys but im practically homeless right now (those pics are from my moms house) so a dslr is WAY off in the future, but i'd like to know if you guys think it would be worth it for me to even get one? i mean obviously i could develop what little skill i have over time, but do i even have soild enough foundation of the basics of lighting and composition that i should continue with my "conquest'? (nvm that's a "stupid" question if im really passionate about something it shouldn't matter if anyone thinks im good enough i should do it for myself.)

Def get a dslr whenever you can... they just allow you to be much more creative since you have so much more control over everything.

Does the camera you have now have a macro function?

Welcome. A DSLR would help you learn some of the basics of lighting and exposure as opposed to the camera you have now.

Well, what you've posted in the first post are seemingly random snapshots. Which is totally fine! Everyone takes random snapshots when they first get a camera, or start getting interested in photography. At this point, I'd say that you don't have a solid foundation on composition, but that is NOT meant to discourage you! Composition can be learned, and through time, shooting, and looking at other inspiring photos YOU will learn composition. I think you should definitely continue shooting, there's really no reason to stop (unless it turns out that you hate it). ;)

Experimenting with light is always good, and will carry on over into a DSLR. There are probably limits to what kind of manual controls you have with your point and shoot, but there's no reason you can't take photos, import them to your computer, look at the EXIF data and determine what works and what doesn't. :thumbup:

Welcome to the forums!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back